Atlanta is known as a ‘Black Mecca.’ Jobs data tell a different story.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hard skills > Soft skills.

I visiting Atlanta now. Yesterday I took Marta to Five Points and walked north down Peachtree to Midtown. U can see the poverty. As a Chicagoan, I know a FACADE when I see it. Breh better get his CDL HVAC or IT Certs. White daddy cant/wont take care of us anymore.
:mjtf:

PewPew

I came from nothing
Daps
Reppin
Earth
Call center turnover is notorious. I did it when I first left school. I got promoted six months in. I left after 18 months though. A cat I came in with was a supervisor within a year and the other one was a manager of his own team within a year. Not unbelievable at all. Nobody likes call center work if you can stick with it you’ll get promoted quick. It’s a suck ass job though.

@hatealot This pretty much sums it up. The company had a cool culture so I didn’t mind it. And honestly, most folks didn’t even try so it made it easier per say.

But prior to starting at that company I owned my own businesses so I was used to an entrepreneurial level of hustle. I applied that to my day job and took off.

In those 6 months I volunteered for every extra shift, took all the hard calls, and resolved all the issues for my fellow reps before the manager could. I became an underboss, so when the manager position opened up, I got in.

I applied that same hustle in the manager role and they personally asked me to apply for sales. I’m currently number one in the company for a few categories. And I’m still grinding. A VP at my company gets a base of $250K plus bonuses so I still got a lot of work to do

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Call center turnover is notorious. I did it when I first left school. I got promoted six months in. I left after 18 months though. A cat I came in with was a supervisor within a year and the other one was a manager of his own team within a year. Not unbelievable at all. Nobody likes call center work if you can stick with it you’ll get promoted quick. It’s a suck ass job though.

What do you hate about it breh?

director_of_bands

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
qc NC
I drove through there a couple of weeks ago and got off the highway to take a quick restroom break...I pulled up to a mcdonalds bc it was the closest to the highway and I was in a rush to get back on the road...I observed my surroundings before getting out and so many thoughts ran through my mind..."look at all these bums lurking and what's with all these teenagers in backpacks?" :dahell: "did school just let out it's july?" :what:"fck is these kids with backpacks hanging around a mickie D's parking lot for in 98 degree weather?" :what: "why am I seeing more pandlers than mcdonalds customers right now?" :mjtf: "wait a minute these teenagers is pandlers too" :merchant:...

im out...
1nnX.gif

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My cousin did that shyt with just some college credits to his name and a whole baby mama at home at 23 begging me of help for his rent.

By 24, manager.

By 25, they wanted him to work and train folks in Mexico.

By 27, moved back to Atlanta and they made him an executive. The youngest executive on his team by 20 years and the only breh.

By 29, became the company's VP. His girl was his wife by this point and they had more children and she ran some coffee shops.

Let's just say the little nikka made it.

I tried that shyt too. They fired me on day 3. Maybe day 2.

I believe it. It was always a transitional job for me but, if you wanted to, and especially where I was at, you could turn it into a career. And since so many people shared my mindset and were always leaving, there was always room for growth for people that wanted to stick around.

Congrats to your cousin though. That's amazing.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
@hatealot This pretty much sums it up. The company had a cool culture so I didn’t mind it. And honestly, most folks didn’t even try so it made it easier per say.

But prior to starting at that company I owned my own businesses so I was used to an entrepreneurial level of hustle. I applied that to my day job and took off.

In those 6 months I volunteered for every extra shift, took all the hard calls, and resolved all the issues for my fellow reps before the manager could. I became an underboss, so when the manager position opened up, I got in.

I applied that same hustle in the manager role and they personally asked me to apply for sales. I’m currently number one in the company for a few categories. And I’m still grinding. A VP at my company gets a base of $250K plus bonuses so I still got a lot of work to do
The cream always rises to the top

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
The really scary thing is that first person. Masters in finance from a top 100 business school (University of Georgia's Terry College of Business) in Atlanta and has to flip burgers is just crazy.

I’d be damned. I’d just have to leave Atlanta

And the brother who played in the league could be coaching at any level from head coach at a high school to an asst in college or the league. That how a good number of em work their up to admn

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
THIS! I’m in the logistics field myself. Started working at a logistics company in the call center making 12.75 a hour, at 27! But I didn’t bytch, I networked and worked my ass off. Made manager in 6 months then got promoted to a cushy ass sales position 11 months after. Going to break 6 figures this year for the first time in my life.

From what I see with my fellow black people in the office, they don’t hustle. They come in, do the bare minimum, and go home. And they act shocked when they get passed up for promotions. You can’t be a “real nikka” in corporate America, you gotta work 2x as hard to get half the praise.

I have NO DEGREE, straight college dropout. And I’m never going back. But now thanks to the networking I do in real life and on linked in, I have recruiters hitting me up every single day, offering me a higher base pay than what I’m currently making.

If you move here anywhere with no connections or job lined up, you’re pouring jelly over yourself

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama

And the brother who played in the league could be coaching at any level from head coach at a high school to an asst in college or the league. That how a good number of em work their up to admn
Id kill to have that resume. fukk Atlanta If I'm that pressed to live in Georgia there is Augusta, Colombus, Macon, Savanah, Athens etc. No way in hell should dude be flipping burgers.

Yogi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yeah, it is strange that he was only looking for admin positions at colleges in Atlanta. That gives him a very limited number of opportunities. People that truly want to get into college coaching or administration know that they need to look nationwide for opportunities. His problem is because of the nature of his chosen profession and has nothing to do with the job market in Atlanta.