SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
He doesn't directly say it, but you know well as I do that this is mostly targeting Black folk :obama: Now, I'm not a Republican by any means, but I will always feel that we need to force BOTH parties hand :manny:

@CACtain Planet @King Kreole @Ultima @JahFocus CS

45: The Transition
The Daily 202 Live: Q&A with Gingrich on how Trump will change Washington

By James Hohmann December 20
imrs.php

James Hohmann interviews Newt Gingrich. (Photo by April Greer For The Washington Post)

I spoke with Newt Gingrich at The Washington Post last Friday for the latest installment of The Daily 202’s live interview series. The former speaker of the House, who had huddled with Donald J. Trump the night before at Trump Tower, spoke candidly about the president-elect’s leadership style, the three power centers that will exist in his White House and why he’d welcome a million federal workers taking to the streets.

Gingrich was a runner-up to be Trump’s vice president this summer, but he will not take a formal role in the new government. The 73-year-old predicted that Trump will create a new governing coalition with certain Hispanic and African-Americans but without some members of the House Freedom Caucus.

Below is a transcript of our hour-long conversation, edited slightly for length and readability:

Hohmann: You’re one of the few people who knows Trump really well and knows Washington really well. Looking ahead, what’s your prediction for how Trump changes Washington, and how Washington changes Trump?

Gingrich: Probably some time in February, the cabinet that he’s assembling … will get together for a meeting and realize that Washington does not accept the election. And whether it’s the bureaucracy, or it’s the news media, or, it’s the lobbying community, or it’s some parts of the Republican Party, all of them are committed to a different future than the one that Trump wants.

At that point, they’ll have two choices. They’ll either do what (Arnold) Schwarzenegger did in California, after he lost his referendum (in 2005), and decide, you know, ‘Okay. I’ve got to accommodate the system that’s already here.’ Or, because they are such a high-powered collection of people, who are so used to winning, they’ll say, ‘Okay, we’ve got to double, or triple, or quadruple our energy level, and break through.’ And at that point, you will know just how historic Trump’s going to be.

Hohmann: You really think we’ll know that in the first 60 to 90 days?

Gingrich: Oh, yeah. Because the problems they have to solve will all compound, almost immediately. The biggest of which is the bureaucracy. If you look at the Veterans Administration, which is sort of the archetype of disaster, you can’t fix it unless you change the civil service laws.

You can’t change the civil service laws within the normal framework of Washington. So you have to either do what Scott Walker did and break out of the normal framework – which in his case led to 100,000 people demonstrating, a six-month occupation of the Capitol, and death threats against both he and his wife – or you say, ‘Well, yeah, we’ll fix it as well as we can without really making anybody unhappy.’”

Hohmann: There are a couple of issues where you’ve been unorthodox for a Republican. You’re working with Patrick Kennedy and Van Jones on opioid addiction recovery, for example. Trump did best in places that have just been decimated by this epidemic. He overperformed Romney the most in places with the highest mortality rates from drugs, alcohol and suicide. What can he do for these folks? What can actually get done beyond what passed last year in Congress?

Gingrich: A lot of things. I have no inside information, but I’m hoping they’re going to pick people in the area of drug control who are focused on demand reduction, and on how we get ahead of it before you become an addict. I’m hoping that they will look at the medical evidence that, right now, only three percent of the people who show up with substance abuse addiction are getting the optimum combination of medication and social and psychological services. We know that.

Patrick, of course, is an extraordinary witness because he’s lived it himself. He’s been through addiction. And he understands the classic ground-rule of addiction, which is that you are always an addict. And he’ll say, ‘A couple times I thought I was okay, and then I backslid.’ And he said, ‘And I’ve had to have enough help, and enough training, to realize that, all of my life, I have to manage certain behaviors, or I’ll be an addict again.” So it’s very important to understand that folks who are currently addicted have to have a level of support.

Opioids are very different than alcohol. Opioids affect the receptors in your brain so intensely that what’s happening to us right now is we’re getting people just enough help to detox. At that point, their receptors lose their ability to have the volume of opioids that they were taking. When they backslide, they take what they used to take, but now it kills them, because their brain is no longer conditioned for it. That’s what happened with Prince. We have a good friend who lost daughter in her early 20s, who was an emergency room nurse. And so you’ve got to have a very methodical approach.

The person who’s done the most work on this is Rob Portman, who’s given over 20 speeches. And he got me to read—I’ll suggest it to all of you too—an astonishing book called ‘Dreamland’ by Sam Quinones. I think the reason those counties were so intensely for Trump, is they were a cry of despair. ‘Nobody cares about us.’ … Van Jones went out and interviewed a couple who had voted for Obama twice, who were white union members, in Youngstown. … They said, ‘Nobody cares. We’ve lost three factories in this county, and nobody cares. Trump at least showed up and cares.’ … That’s part of what killed Hillary. The places she should have been in, saying, ‘I hear your pain,’ she was ignoring because she was sitting in Brooklyn raising money to run ads that said, ‘She would hear your pain if she ever showed up.’

Bill Clinton on Air Force One in 1995 with, at left, Thomas Daschle, Bob Dole and Newt Gingrich. Seated at right are George Shultz and Marianne Gingrich, then the wife of the speaker.
Hohmann: Another issue is criminal justice reform. Something that, for a time this year, seemed like it could actually happen. Now it seems like it would be really, really hard.

Gingrich: “I helped launch this movement. People like Rick Perry, who’s going to be in the cabinet, understand it thoroughly. … For those of you who are not really into this, it’s really simple: we overreacted in the 90s. In retrospect, one of the greatest mistakes we made was treating crack cocaine different from traditional cocaine because it set up a class of behavior which shattered large parts of the poor, inner city urban neighborhoods. I mean, the number of African-American males who’ve now been through a prison experience is so large that it actually desensitizes the experience; it just becomes part of life. You know, ‘Uncle Fred was there. I’ll probably get there some day. Doesn’t really matter.’ And then that’s so huge a mistake on a bipartisan basis.

You really shouldn’t incarcerate people who are committing nonviolent behavioral crimes. … What they need is they need treatment so they go back into society, so their family survives, so they have a job. They don’t need to be put in prison where they learn how to be a criminal. Secondly, if you are in prison, there are steps that can be taken, many of them faith-based, that dramatically reduce the likelihood of your going back to prison.

Hohmann: There’s an emerging consensus among policy experts behind what you’re saying, but there’s really not appetite in the Senate Republican conference. Mitch McConnell is not excited about this, Donald Trump really didn’t talk about it ever during the campaign, and Ted Cruz has criticized Republicans on this.

Gingrich: You couldn’t talk it on the campaign because you’ve had a sudden rise in murder rates. We will have had over 4,000 people shot in Chicago this year. We’ve already had over 700 killed in Chicago. How do you walk in there and say, ‘I want to have a chat with you about prison reform?’ So they’ve got to have a two-pronged effect. … You’re not going to get economic growth if 3,000 or 4,000 people are being shot. … So you’ve got to fix those, and then you’ve got to come back and take up this cause. Perry is going to be at energy. I think Perry will be a major advocate for this, and Governor Deal’s a major advocate.”

The Daily 202 Live: Q&A with Gingrich on how Trump will change Washington

Link to full article in the quote.

Last edited:

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
The funny thing is since he's for it, republicans might actually pass legislation for it in Congress and claim it as their own victory when they refused to help Obama out on it so he had to use other ways. Or they could go the other normal route and shame him for doing something Obama's been fighting for.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
The funny thing is since he's for it, republicans might actually pass legislation for it in Congress and claim it as their own victory when they refused to help Obama out on it so he had to use other ways. Or they could go the other normal route and shame him for doing something Obama's been fighting for.
This needs to be a bipartisan effort. In my opinion, sometimes differences have to be put aside. I do remember Mitch McConnell's goal was to make Obama a 1 term President. Now, I'll say that Black folk need to INFILTRATE both parties like the Hispanics have.

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
This needs to be a bipartisan effort. In my opinion, sometimes differences have to be put aside. I do remember Mitch McConnell's goal was to make Obama a 1 term President. Now, I'll say that Black folk need to INFILTRATE both parties like the Hispanics have.
Nothing wrong with bipartisan support when it can lead to things getting done. Obama's been preaching that since his 08 campaign. Republicans gotta stop being so aggressively angry and ready to say no to everything.