Bill would allow VA's public HBCUs to charge reduced tuition to out-of-state students who major in STEM or EDU

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Bills would let Norfolk and Virginia State Universities lower some out-of-state tuition​

Legislation aims to recruit students for high-demand jobs in Virginia

March 1, 2023

Norfolk State University,

Norfolk and Virginia State Universities may soon be able to offer reduced tuition rates for certain out-of-state students after the General Assembly passed a pair of bills granting them that authority.
An earlier version of the legislation could have opened the door for all public higher education institutions in Virginia to offer reduced out-of-state tuition for some students. However, that language was removed during final negotiations between the House and Senate before the bill’s passage last week, according to Del. Mike Cherry, R-Colonial Heights, who carried the legislation in the House.
“We wanted [the legislation] to be very narrowed, because we were trying to help our HBCUs to recruit highly qualified people for the high-demand jobs that are available here in Virginia,” Cherry told the Mercury Friday, referring to historically Black colleges and universities.

Of Virginia’s five HBCUs, Norfolk State and Virginia State are the only public ones. The other three — Hampton University, Virginia Union University and Virginia University of Lynchburg — are private.
Cherry said data shows graduates in high-demand fields are likely to stay after graduation, and so “we think this program really helps us recruit talent from out of state, bring them in, get them these high-demand jobs, and keep them here in Virginia.”

According to the legislation, which was carried by Sen. Louise Lucas, D-Portsmouth, in the Senate, Norfolk State and Virginia State would be allowed to charge a reduced tuition rate to any out-of-state student who has completed at least 30 credit hours of coursework and is enrolled in a data science and technology, science and engineering, health care or education program.
If an out-of-state student being charged a reduced tuition rate were to switch to another program not leading to a job in a high-demand field, they would be charged tuition at the full rate for non-Virginia students.
“We’ve worked very hard to get this through both chambers,” Cherry said. “It was great working with Sen. Lucas on the Senate side to make sure that we got the right bill for these HBCUs and to make sure that they’re able to do what we need them to do, which is to continue to grow and thrive in today’s challenging world of education.”
As Virginia seeks to grow its technology, health care and education workforce, the bills could pave the way for future legislation to offer similar authority to other public higher education institutions.

Track the bill

@Rollie Forbes @darkmanp
@xoxodede
@DrBanneker @BigAggieLean. @CoryMack @Originalman @staticshock

Last edited:

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
That's pretty good. I think it would be do these schools some good to expand their online education programs with this in mind. I can't help but think it would let them see a good return on investment and result in more black people getting degrees. The only concern is that they seem to be ultimately trying to attract and keep people in the state rather than a whole sale investment in education in general. There's nothing wrong with that so maybe everything else may serve as an unintended plus.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Very, very smart (though let's see if it will pass and if Youngkin signs it even if it passes). Good HBCU state schools for nursing and STEM are the cheat code IF you can get in-state rates. They have the best payback and highest expected earnings to debt ratios when you do engineering or nursing. I would 100% recommend someone take advantage of this if they are focused on these fields and the school has a good engineering program in their field.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Very, very smart (though let's see if it will pass and if Youngkin signs it even if it passes). Good HBCU state schools for nursing and STEM are the cheat code IF you can get in-state rates. They have the best payback and highest expected earnings to debt ratios when you do engineering or nursing. I would 100% recommend someone take advantage of this if they are focused on these fields and the school has a good engineering program in their field.
That part. Youngkin is cut from the same cloth as Ron DeSantis. If the bill does pass, however, that would be a tremendous boon for both Norfolk State and Virginia State.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
That part. Youngkin is cut from the same cloth as Ron DeSantis. If the bill does pass, however, that would be a tremendous boon for both Norfolk State and Virginia State.

Yeah I dunno. There is already big news about his appointment to the UVA Board of Visitors is vowing a battle for the university's "soul" against wokeness. But honestly GOP has never been openly hostile towards HBCUs so maybe he signs it for street cred.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Youngkin rode into office partly because he got a left field endorsement from former Gov. Wilder. And it was specifically HBCU funding/support from the state that was his stated reason.

Huh, I was unaware. It really can be ok, remember President George Bush I got an honorary degree from Howard for his support of HBCUs in the Reagan and his own administration.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Yeah I dunno. There is already big news about his appointment to the UVA Board of Visitors is vowing a battle for the university's "soul" against wokeness. But honestly GOP has never been openly hostile towards HBCUs so maybe he signs it for street cred.
If Youngkin does sign the bill, I could see it as a campaign point to say that he increased education in the Commonwealth. As long as the bill gets signed, I'm okay with him making that claim.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
SUNY out here does this same thing with its 4 year universities with the exception of its flagship universities (Stonybrook and U. Buffalo). This has helped colleges like U. Brockport and SUNY Westbury (shoutout to old westbury) which was struggling badly.

Hope it works out for them.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Huh, I was unaware. It really can be ok, remember President George Bush I got an honorary degree from Howard for his support of HBCUs in the Reagan and his own administration

Youngkin is who he is, I agree with you on that. But it's in his interest politically to back his campaign promises of supporting HBCUs.

He's challenging the AP African American Studies being accepted in VA, so he definitely leans Desantis-ish, so we'll see what happens.

I like the way many of the state bills for resources to HBCUs are being crafted. MD, NC, GA, and now VA. Push the way it benefits the economy of the state. Harder to justify voting against things that would provide economic impact. Black lawmakers in these state legs. have to work with and get support from people across the aisle.