Black Ohio GOP lawmaker proposes anti-redlining bill after being denied home sale

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Then they'd be opening themselves up to a lawsuit if they cancelled.
But they wouldn’t be able to prove that the reason the buyer was denied is because they were black/brown/etc.

I mean. presumably they wouldn’t explicitly state “uhh, yeah we see from the recently disclosed info that the buyer is Black…so, we take back the sale”

Theyd make up other excuses that you can’t disprove :”the seller had a change of heart…” type shyt.

My point is why even offer an option to pull back the sale? Once the shyt is signed, it’s signed.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
And these are the educated brehs of thecoli :bryan:
The nikka is bringing about a bipartisan bill
And yet he is a c00n:bryan:
Amos and Andy be dancing around for chicken and other fast foods
And the responses are
They not hurting nobody
But a breh, regardless of political affiliation is trying to change shyt
And you idiots jumping out the ever so haphazardly used c00n window:bryan:
fukking clowns
Labels mean something in this case. If you call yourself republican, that means you're mostly aligned with them ideologically. The republican platform, now more than anytime, is more and more outwardly white supremacist. So, if you're not ideologically aligned with them on most things why call yourself a republican? I wouldn't label myself a libertarian unless I consider myself mostly a libertarian.

This is good legislation but as often the case with conservatives, it's telling it's only something he considered important when it impacts him directly. I better not search this guy and see him doing the typical conservative c00n shyt otherwise.

If he is one of the few who bucks the trend, good for him. But it's usually a good bet that black Republicans are more like that fat c00n in North Carolina running for governor than not. Don't blame people for having a natural first instinct revulsion to black Republicans when 95% of their whole sthick is shytting on blacks and validating white racism.

Last edited:
Daps

Black Ohio GOP lawmaker proposes anti-redlining bill after being denied home sale​

BY: MORGAN TRAU - MARCH 4, 2024 4:45 AM

Ohio State Rep. Josh Williams speaking on the House floor. (Photo courtesy of the Ohio Channel.)

A Black Republican lawmaker in the Ohio House has proposed a bill to prevent housing discrimination, stemming from his personal experience of being rejected from getting a home.

In an exclusive interview about his experience, state Rep. Josh Williams (R-Sylvania) told WEWS/OCJ about why battling redlining is a priority for him.

Readers have raised the issue of redlining for decades — which is the discriminatory practice meant to prevent minority groups from buying property or getting loans in certain areas.

Williams was finishing up law school in 2018. He and his family thought they found the perfect home in the Northwest Ohio town of Maumee. That is, until he showed up to tour the house in person.

“The homeowner wouldn’t even shake my hand,” Williams, a criminal defense attorney, said, reflecting. “It just gave an uneasy feeling.”

He still put in an offer, thousands of dollars more than the asking price, he said. He submitted four different pre-approval letters — three from banks and one from a local credit union.

But the homeowner sold to a white couple offering the asking price, significantly less than Williams’ offer, he added.

“The seller said they felt more comfortable that the other couple would be able to secure financing,” the lawmaker said.

It’s hard for him to believe, as a Black man trying to buy in a predominately white community, that race didn’t play into this rejection.

“We can create an even playing field where race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, even political beliefs — those shouldn’t be factors,” Williams said.

Now — as a state rep., Williams has introduced a bill to stop discrimination like this from happening. His bipartisan legislation, cosponsored with state Rep. Dontavius Jarrells (D-Columbus), would redact identifying markers from the offer sheet.

It would prohibit a real estate broker or salesperson from disclosing a purchaser’s name, age, race or address before the purchaser and seller agree to the contract terms.

Although they wouldn’t go on camera, the Ohio Association of Realtors, now called Ohio REALTORS, gave a statement, saying, “Ohio REALTORS are currently reviewing the bill and determining the impact it will have on real estate transactions. We look forward to working with Rep. Williams and members of the General Assembly during the committee process.”

But Williams explained he understands why some groups may not support his legislation.

“Sometimes a person may have a criminal history and you maybe don’t feel comfortable with them moving into a neighborhood that you lived in for 20, 30, 40 years,” he said.

His bill accounts for that, though. If the seller and buyer approve of the agreement, they have to disclose all previously hidden information within 48 hours. If realtors don’t comply with any of the provisions, they could be penalized, eventually having their licenses removed if they continue breaking the law.

“That’s why you have that period of rescission that’s built in almost every single real estate contract that I’ve ever seen is — it is at least three days, but can be actually wider,” Williams added.

He was able to buy another home in Sylvania, but said he doesn’t want anyone else to have to go through that experience based on their skin color.

“We’re hoping that this bill would just create one more step in the right direction towards creating true equality in Ohio,” the lawmaker said, addressing the housing crisis and redlining.

There are numerous Republicans and Democrats on the bill, and it is likely it will be heard in the coming months.

This article was originally published on News5Cleveland.com and is published in the Ohio Capital Journal under a content-sharing agreement. Unlike other OCJ articles, it is not available for free republication by other news outlets as it is owned by WEWS in Cleveland.
Self hating c*nt. You were fine when they were doing that shyt to other black folks tho. :pacspit:

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
Sellers should have no business knowing the financing of the buyer. The agent should know if youre able to buy the house before the offer thats it. But cacs gonna cac

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
why are people automatically assuming he’s a c00n? Breh is a criminal defense attorney, married a black woman, and is pushing a bill to ban discrimination. :skip:
If he was really a c00n he would’ve said racism doesn’t exist and kept it pushing.
As someone pointed out he was fine with these things until they affected him. Now he’s all revolutionary. The GOP only exists to protect the wealth of a small group of white men. Everything they say and do is to this end. So if you align yourself with that ESPECIALLY in the MAGA era yes you are indeed a c00n. And btw I don’t use that term as easily as a lot of others. I don’t give a fukk if you date interracially, who your friends are, if you have different perspectives. I use it for those I feel are actively engaging in things to hurt their race. Being in the modern GOP as a black person is high on that list.