Black people make up only 8% of L.A. County’s population, but 42 % of homeless are black

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
A New Report Highlights the Shocking Racial Disparity Among L.A.’s Homeless Population
Racist housing policy is at the root L.A.’s current crisis
By
Zoie Matthew
-
December 23, 2019
Black people make up only 8 percent of L.A. County’s population, but 42 percent of homeless Angelenos are black—a disparity that has been fueled by decades’ worth of systemic racism and discrimination, according to a new report from the New York Times.

What's Behind the the Shocking Racial Disparity Among L.A.'s Homeless

In the analysis, the paper examined how the criminal justice system, the history of redlining, and modern-day housing discrimination have contributed to the fragmentation of black communities in the city, fueling displacement and resulting in tens of thousands of black people losing their homes. More than 60,000 black Angelenos experienced homelessness this year, according to the report.

South L.A., once the epicenter of black life in the city, has been ravaged by the housing crisis, with about 50 percent of the area’s black households experiencing severe rent burdens. In the ’50s and ’60s, many black families were restricted to neighborhoods like Crenshaw, Watts, and South Park due to the racist practice of redlining, which marked certain areas as “undesirable” for real estate investments and prevented those families from getting homes.

Later, as the cost of housing rose and more Latino residents moved into the area, many black residents left, leaving only the poorest families behind. While redlining was banned by the Fair Homes Act of 1968, racial discrimination in the city’s real estate market continues, with black homeownership falling 36 percent from 44 percent over the past 50 years.

Disparities in the criminal justice system have also contributed to the cycle of black homelessness. Only 6 percent of California’s population is black, as opposed to 30 percent of its prison population. Having a criminal records can make it far more difficult for an individual to find jobs and housing once they are released from jail.

“There is probably no more single significant factor than incarceration in terms of elevating somebody’s prospects of homelessness,” former Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority director Peter Lynn told the Times.

Currently, L.A. is scrambling to house the more than 44,000 people who sleep on its streets each night. The report is a sobering reminder that it will take more than just new housing to fix the problem—it will take a concerted effort to address the systemic racism that created it in the first place

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The same applies everywhere. Vast majority of homeless in Miami are black too despite only being less than 20% of the county.

Right, before people even start, this goes to most big cities. DC is like 45% black now and I guarantee you at least 60% of the homeless in DC are black. If anybody been to NY or SF, same thing, more black homeless than the actual ratio of the city...

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
We can't blame everybody without blaming ourselves. If Nigerians prevail, there's no reason most of us shouldn't be prevailing. Imagine how much easier life would be if folks stopped having kids out of wedlock or only had kids when they had decent jobs.
uh oh....lol I agree with you, but let's just say this too...black men receive the least amount of support, whether it's from family or whether it's from social services. Men in general receive less, but that number is multiplied when you begin talking about black men.

You have a lot of men walking around with mental health problems, or simply unable to find stable work and people just don't care. A lot of these men are easily ignored and end up homeless.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
uh oh....lol I agree with you, but let's just say this too...black men receive the least amount of support, whether it's from family or whether it's from social services. Men in general receive less, but that number is multiplied when you begin talking about black men.

Social services I understand, but family? You got sources on that? That's not a good excuse if you ask me. If you a grown man with no kids, you have so many options at hand, unless you live in a high cost of living area.

I understand it ain't easy, but you got things like the Pell Grant that will pay for your school. You can go to Community College for free and get into a good field. And Community Colleges these days are as good as a University, especially to start.

And trade school, are these institutions really keeping us out of the trades or are brehs just not applying for them?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Social services I understand, but family? You got sources on that? That's not a good excuse if you ask me. If you a grown man with no kids, you have so many options at hand, unless you live in a high cost of living area.

I understand it ain't easy, but you got things like the Pell Grant that will pay for your school. You can go to Community College for free and get into a good field. And Community Colleges these days are as good as a University, especially to start.

And trade school, are these institutions really keeping us out of the trades or are brehs just not applying for them?
No disagreement on any of that, but I'm speaking primarily about the people who are unable to provide for themselves (i.e the mentally ill). They make up a disproportionate number of homeless people. From what i've seen, men's homeless shelters and the services that they provide are far and few inbetween.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southern poverty law center says that cali has the highest percentage of hate groups , cali is very racist :mjpls: so negros can easily fall into homelessness :usure:

Last edited: