"Black Teachers 'INCREASE' College Enrollment For Black Kids" - John Hopkins Study (2018)

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
go to college and become an educator then, joe.

It's not always that simple, for reasons tons of people have already mentioned before. But here's a little-known fact: teacher prep also costs a LOT of money. I had to sacrifice an entire semester of work in order to student teach - oh, and if you're at a university-based cert program, you're going to have to pay tuition on top of missing work. If you're in an alt cert non-university program, be prepared to shell out about $5,000 for your license at the very least. And if you opt to teach private school instead of putting up w/the certification racket, just go get your food stamp application before you get home. My 1st year as a Catholic school teacher was $24K before taxes. I've seen it go as low as $17K.

tl:dr - to everyone who always asks why we don't have more minority teachers, one of the reasons is simple: teacher prep is expensive as hell.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
It's not always that simple, for reasons tons of people have already mentioned before. But here's a little-known fact: teacher prep also costs a LOT of money. I had to sacrifice an entire semester of work in order to student teach - oh, and if you're at a university-based cert program, you're going to have to pay tuition on top of missing work. If you're in an alt cert non-university program, be prepared to shell out about $5,000 for your license at the very least. And if you opt to teach private school instead of putting up w/the certification racket, just go get your food stamp application before you get home. My 1st year as a Catholic school teacher was $24K before taxes. I've seen it go as low as $17K.

tl:dr - to everyone who always asks why we don't have more minority teachers, one of the reasons is simple: teacher prep is expensive as hell.

To be a teacher is to take a vow of poverty. While I understand the optics a black educator can make, i wouldn't anyone to be poor on my account.

It’s almost 2019, am educator can be many things.

Ricky Dunigan

Superstar
Daps
I can believe it. My favorite teacher for 5th and 6th grade was unapologetically black and taught us to be proud.

I mean she did little things like teaching the females the correct way to wipe ( via hand motion) and the little boys things like the reality of contraception.

You know you have a good one in the hood when a rachet parent wanted to fight cause her bad ass kid got in trouble, but the other parents stepped up and was about to stomp the parent out for fukking with our teacher.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: not sure if I believe the study I went to nothing but all black schools with nothing but black teachers.

And alot of Nikkas still didn't go to college the ones who did had the drive or their parents influenced them.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
:mjlol: not sure if I believe the study I went to nothing but all black schools with nothing but black teachers.

And alot of Nikkas still didn't go to college the ones who did had the drive or their parents influenced them.
Being around success is the best way to guarantee success.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
It’s too many variables in the situation to just say black kids do better when they have black teachers; it doesn’t take into account variables like home stability, access to resources, even the location of the school is important; children in communities of concentrated poverty are more likely to get a black teacher BUT at a failing school. Is that a fair trade off?
:jbhmm:

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's not complicated at all.

To reach the youth you have to have positive influences at as many possible sources. Parents, neighbors, teachers, police, doctors, garbage men, mailman , business owners , employees, minimum wage etc.

People that say "no , no, no we don't need black xxx's" are drinking c00n-aid. We need as many positive black and positive displays of as many black people as possible.

White people pigeonhole our youth. They'll tell a white student "if you want to open up your own bakery, go ahead chase your dreams" but then tell a black kid "there's no money in being a Baker, you should xxx (sets the bar really high), then you'll be respected and productive and be able to support yourself." They teach the black youth, it's all or nothing. Whereas when your white, just being a good person is enough to succeed in America.

They set the bar high for us in hopes of failure. A half black man was president and even he doesn't/didnt get respect and it wasn't because of his policies.

Whenever a black kid gets a scholarship or a job, white people claim it's because of affirmative action. When a white man retires from the post office after 20 years it's congratulations for long, tough work and years of service .Black man does the same it's " well he wasn't smart enough or trained enough to do anything else."

Unfortunately this behavior and way of looking at black people has trickled down into the fabric of our black society to the point where unconsciously we shyt on our own whenever we try to live.
":mjlol: this nikka has worked at xxx for 6 years!" "This dude ain't making no moves :russ:"

It's like if we can't start a job at $120k and floss with a new house, new car and new shoes we might as well be dead. And heaven forbid we go to college, start our own businesses, or take jobs not strictly for income but based on our intrinsic values.

A white person will work at a pet shelter for 45k when they can be doing anything else just because they love dogs. They'll work at an art studio for 30k or work at a shelter or with kids at a daycare for 30k. And its:salute:

Catch a nikka trying to do anything but survive to the max and it's :stopitslime:

We just need a complete reboot, reformat and reprogramming of the view of ourselves, our value and our purpose without the influence of white America. I'm not saying to live life with blinders on like racism and systemic racism doesn't exist but when you literally have people that'll be like
" :scust: regional manager of a chain of grocery stores? fukk kinda job is that b?"

Then "Oh you make $120k a year, :ehh: carry on then brotha"

We dont need white peoples validation and secondly we don't need to validate each other based on income or job / career title or interests.

Last edited: