"Black Women At A HIGHER Risk Of Dying From Breast Cancer" - 2018 Study

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
We gotta get our Black sistas to take better care of themselves :snoop: Go get your monthly self breast exams, sistas.

Posted: Nov 02, 2018 05:57 PM CDT

Updated: Nov 02, 2018 06:03 PM CDT

PEORIA, Il - A study published by the Susan G Komen Foundation, shows that black women have a 40% greater chance of dying from breast cancer than white women. As a result, Unity Point Health urges women of color to get screened.

Ronda Guyton, the Jail Superintendent for Peoria County Sheriff's Department learned about her breast cancer diagnosis six years ago and is now an advocate for breast cancer screening.

Even for myself being educated about a lot of different things, I didn't take my own health seriously. I didn't do my monthly self breast exams," said Guyton, "The only reason why I got my mammogram at the time is because I was going to get breast augmentation done. Had it not been for that, I would not have gotten diagnosed."

According to Unity Point Health, economics is a possible factor for the higher number of black women dying from breast cancer.

They figured out that some of them have to do with disparities in access to care. Some of them are probably due to factors that we can't change but at least for some of the ones that we can change, having things like better access to screening mammograms, financial considerations where we can give people access to care," said Candace Correa, MD, UnityPoint Health Radiation Oncologist.

Guyton added that sometimes fear keeps women from getting tested but they should not let that stop them.

"The earlier the detection if that's the case, the greater chances of survival. But the longer you wait and you let those fears consume you, the chances are you're going to get diagnosed at a later stage," said Guyton.

Although a breast cancer diagnosis is a shock, Dr. Correa affirms that it is highly curable, if it is detected early.

Anyone who believed they might be at a high risk for breast cancer due to family history, can call the High Risk Breast Screening Clinic for an appointment at 309-672-4202.

Black women at a higher risk of dying from breast cancer, study shows

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
First thing that came to my mind was an access problem.
We already know that Blacks don't receive the same type of care as their White counterparts.......because we are told that we have a higher pain tolerance :francis: Read up on the 'Medical Apartheid'.