Blazers Fire GM/President Neil Olshey

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
Nothing will change unless the ownership is allowing the new gm to blow it up. You can trade CJ, you won't get much else in return that will have a huge impact. Team will still be near 7th to 10th seed.

Rhakim

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Inglewood
Nurkic is an expiring and injury prone, so they aren't getting anything for him and Covington hasn't been the same player for years now. You can tell who has paid attention to him all these years and who hasn't, if they think that he can still be a good trade asset. If both of those guys could have been traded, then they would have been moved long ago.

What do you mean "would have been moved long ago", you're talking like the Blazers didn't acquire Covington literally just last season. :deadrose:

Blazers gave up two 1st-round picks and a warm body for Covington last year and he's still a solid defender with size who hits his threes. At 30yo there are plenty of teams that would give up assets for him.

Nurkic looks healthy this season and played 70+ games his first two years in Portland, if all they have to do to make him an asset is make it a sign-and-trade then they'll make it a sign-and-trade. He's the rare NBA center who is actually good on both ends.

You've completely ignored Powell and Simmons as well.

And then, of course, there's CJ.

The point isn't that trading any one guy is suddenly going to make the Blazers a title favorite. But are those players good enough that other teams will give up something for them? Definitely. Could those players land some 1st-round picks, a disgruntled player, a young guy with potential on a contending team who needs something now or a usable vet from a rebuilding team? Easily. Could they be packaged with CJ in order to net an even bigger trade? Yes.

So the claim that trading Dame is the only option for some hypothetical GM just isn't true. Trading Dame might end up being the best option, but it's not the only option.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They don't have the assets to get anything better that's the point :mjlol:

According to them, they are in a "championship window" of Dame and CJ's prime, so they don't have the luxury of waiting for players to develop and meet their timeline.
they don't have access to the same vet min, g-league, int, i still got it :flabbynsick: network as everyone else? they had spots but they chose to take a chance on dennis smith jr and give him minutes like he's supposed to help that defense
they don't even get quality patchwork pieces is why everyone was going at his head :dead: even with larry nance, how many guys on that team are over 6'7? and of those guys, who can stay healthy?

like how is that response to this? :dwillhuh:

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
OKC has put out :trash: for their fans to watch the past 2 years with a promise of a better future

the NBA is a terrible product if people rather have a team that sucks instead of watching Dame & CJ hoop every night

I don’t think the answer is that people would rather their team suck than be good. That’s an overly simplistic way of viewing it. Everyone wants their team to be good. People just don’t like stagnancy. The Blazers are stagnant. At this point you know what you’re getting with this Dame & CJ duo.

What reason does a Blazers fan have to be excited going into a season? I mean sure you’re gonna get some huge games from Dame and maybe a couple from CJ. And you know they’re good enough to get to the playoffs but unless the stars align perfectly (like 2019), you also know they’re not doing shyt once they get there. They don’t have the assets to keep Dame & CJ and bring in someone who could elevate their ceiling. And they don’t have any young players who look to have the potential to do so.

Hope is the keyword in sports fandom. Right now OKC fans have hope that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, maybe there is one and maybe there’s not. Blazer fans know that this is the team they’ve got, they know it’s not good enough and they know there’s no calvary coming to change that.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Compound Interest & Exponential Growth

breh why are you like this :russ: argue to argue for nothing

just a few posts up you talking about nurkic being injury prone but when i say the obvious "sign literally anyone to stay afloat and not play small players at a continuous disadvantage" its some theoretically :jbhmm: stuff. nobody in portland cares about a treadmill, they care about a roster being continuously hamstrung through gross negligence from the GM position and playing uphill with less tools than they should have
I realized that I was repeating myself, so I just stopped.

Those who follow the blazers know: Nurkic, Cov, and CJ are main ones on the block.

But anyone not named Dame or Simons can get shipped as well.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I realized that I was repeating myself, so I just stopped.

Those who follow the blazers know: Nurkic, Cov, and CJ are main ones on the block.

But anyone not named Dame or Simons can get shipped as well.
ngl its kinda hilarious how stotts gets fired and any attempts at even developing fringe guys like giles, skal, and leaf just went out the window too :mjlol: its only more obvious now how much stotts jockeyed for every little bit he could get

but when billups shows up its just this is what you got good luck :win: don't ask me for shyt

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississippi/Tennessee
What do you mean "would have been moved long ago", you're talking like the Blazers didn't acquire Covington literally just last season. :deadrose:

Blazers gave up two 1st-round picks and a warm body for Covington last year and he's still a solid defender with size who hits his threes. At 30yo there are plenty of teams that would give up assets for him.

Nurkic looks healthy this season and played 70+ games his first two years in Portland, if all they have to do to make him an asset is make it a sign-and-trade then they'll make it a sign-and-trade. He's the rare NBA center who is actually good on both ends.

You've completely ignored Powell and Simmons as well.

And then, of course, there's CJ.

The point isn't that trading any one guy is suddenly going to make the Blazers a title favorite. But are those players good enough that other teams will give up something for them? Definitely. Could those players land some 1st-round picks, a disgruntled player, a young guy with potential on a contending team who needs something now or a usable vet from a rebuilding team? Easily. Could they be packaged with CJ in order to net an even bigger trade? Yes.

So the claim that trading Dame is the only option for some hypothetical GM just isn't true. Trading Dame might end up being the best option, but it's not the only option.

I've literally mentioned Simons on more than one occasion in this thread but okay :mjlol:

Once again, Simons not panning out is what has held them back and the reason why they traded Trent Jr to get Powell when they could have used him as trade bait to fill out another hole on the roster. Simons was always drafted with the intention of becoming CJ's replacement or the trade asset that helped them net a 3rd star. His development was slow, so they had no other choice but to get someone else that was more ready and developed.

Them giving up 2 first round picks and a warm body for RoCo was a massive overpay and another reason why they are in the situation that they are in now as dude isn't that good. It was literally a waste of assets.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississippi/Tennessee
they don't have access to the same vet min, g-league, int, i still got it :flabbynsick: network as everyone else? they had spots but they chose to take a chance on dennis smith jr and give him minutes like he's supposed to help that defense

like how is that response to this? :dwillhuh:

They have access to that pipeline, but one again they are in a "championship window" and don't have the time to wait on those guys to develop. It's the exact reason why they traded Trent Jr for Powell as they didn't have the time anymore to wait on Simons to devlop into who they needed him to be.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ngl its kinda hilarious how stotts gets fired and any attempts at even developing fringe guys like giles, skal, and leaf just went out the window too :mjlol: its only more obvious now how much stotts jockeyed for every little bit he could get

but when billups shows up its just this is what you got good luck :win: don't ask me for
shyt
:russ: :dead:

Stotts had his own set of problems, because he was mad passive and reluctant to change certain schemes, but he wasn't bad, he worked with what he had.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They have access to that pipeline, but one again they are in a "championship window" and don't have the time to wait on those guys to develop. It's the exact reason why they traded Trent Jr for Powell as they didn't have the time anymore to wait on Simons to devlop into who they needed him to be.
they are in a championship window according to the guy who can't assess his own roster and is cool doing absolutely nothing to address critical weaknesses multiple years in a row

are you sure we're talking about reasons oshley got fired still or are we defending him now? :skip: the dangers of arguing in circles for no reason. im done now tho you can reel in someone else my food is here :mjlol:
:russ: :dead:

Stotts had his own set of problems, because he was mad passive and reluctant to change certain schemes, but he wasn't bad, he worked with what he had.
hoping he lands in a good spot. seemed like he spent more time trying to fix his own squad than preparing to play anyone else

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississippi/Tennessee
they are in a championship window according to the guy who can't assess his own roster and is cool doing absolutely nothing to address critical weaknesses multiple years in a row

are you sure we're talking about reasons oshley got fired still or are we defending him now? :skip: the dangers of arguing in circles for no reason. im done now tho you can reel in someone else my food is here :mjlol:

hoping he lands in a good spot. seemed like he spent more time trying to fix his own squad than preparing to play anyone else

You really didn't notice the emphasis that I put on "championship window" :laff:

Pay attention as well to my original post about the writing being on the wall for him eventually getting moved out of the paint with him thinking the team in it's current form was enough to compete for a championship with no major changes.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CJ, Powell, Nurkic, Covington, Simmons, and to a slight degree Larry Nance Jr. are all real trade pieces. Trading Dame might end up being the most sensible move in the end but it's certainly not the only move.

I've been telling them to trade CJ since 2017 but no one listens to me....
A lot of people have been saying trade CJ for over the past 6 years breh, get in line :camby: