Boxing/MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ Training/Gym Thoughts thread.

dreskii

Pro
Daps
Inspired by the "how long till you started sparring" thread. Seems like there's alot of us out here training. This thread is for sharing knowledge, or just general fukkery/stories that have been goin' down in your gyms :smile:

dreskii

Pro
Daps
i'll kick things off.

I've been training boxing/bjj/muay thai off and on for the last 10 years (more off than on if i'm being honest). In the last 6 months i've really ramped back up but focusing on boxing.

yall - i gained 33 pounds over the last 2 years with lockdowns and all that shyt:picard: (and i was already overweight when lockdown started lol ~198 pounds.. i've lost 11 of the pounds so far.. at my fighting best i was probably 165-175. but this was already years ago.

Have any of yall fluctuated in weight like this? i'm definitely way slower than i was before --> i'm wondering if i'll ever regain my old speed if i keep shedding the the weight.

Anyway besides the fact i feel like i'm heavy as fukk training has been going well. I kinda luck out in sparring because I'm always paired with guys my height rather than my weight, mostly because i'm 5'9 and the rest of the dudes my weight are way taller than me. I'm no dummy though, i know the taller dudes who are my weight would whoop the shyt outta me. :russ::russ:.

Anyway feel free to flame me for my current weight situation, will motivate me to stay in the gym :ohhh:

dreskii

Pro
Daps
Great thread:salute:. Need to get started in bjj. Already a somewhat decent boxer.

once i sort out a few lingering issues with my shoulder, i'm gonna start training BJJ again. I feel like i'm too old to compete in boxing now, I think i'll get my competition fix with BJJ.

Aveda

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
been watching some pacquiao recently to try to steal some of his shyt. I"m generally the smallest or near the smallest cat in the gym but I got some pop still and I'm quick as shyt. Still, know that you go to spar and 95% of ya rounds is going to be someone taller, bigger than you is some annoying shyt. Oh well :yeshrug:

dreskii

Pro
Daps
been watching some pacquiao recently to try to steal some of his shyt. I"m generally the smallest or near the smallest cat in the gym but I got some pop still and I'm quick as shyt. Still, know that you go to spar and 95% of ya rounds is going to be someone taller, bigger than you is some annoying shyt. Oh well :yeshrug:

hahaha one of my first coaches always said... always better to spar someone bigger because chances are in real life.. only bigger people gonna be the ones who are gonna try and fight you

dreskii

Pro
Daps
Anyone dealt with shoulder pain when boxing? at the moment at full extension when throwing my right hand i feel pain in the top/front of my right shoulder.

Weirdly it doesn't hurt when i hit pads/bag/people but it hurts when im doing shadow boxing/trying to perfect my form etc.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Anyone dealt with shoulder pain when boxing? at the moment at full extension when throwing my right hand i feel pain in the top/front of my right shoulder.

Weirdly it doesn't hurt when i hit pads/bag/people but it hurts when im doing shadow boxing/trying to perfect my form etc.
Maybe youre throwing to hard shadow boxing.

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I start Muay Thai classes next week. What tips can anybody offer me as far as maybe things they would’ve know before they started or if you could go back what would you do to help prepare?

I’m in pretty good shape (run 10 miles+ a week and hit the gym 5x a week) and I used to compete in taekwondo and also practiced Judo as a kid. I have an idea of what I’m getting into but eager to jump into this new chapter.

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Been at it for three weeks now. Love it. Started light sparring.

My biggest challenge is hip mobility. My lord..I am tight! I need to stay consistent with stretching.

dreskii

Pro
Daps
I start Muay Thai classes next week. What tips can anybody offer me as far as maybe things they would’ve know before they started or if you could go back what would you do to help prepare?

I’m in pretty good shape (run 10 miles+ a week and hit the gym 5x a week) and I used to compete in taekwondo and also practiced Judo as a kid. I have an idea of what I’m getting into but eager to jump into this new chapter.
yo how'd you go?

Aveda

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

u prolly aint turning your punches over