Brehs how do I learn how to code?

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
Tryna expand my legal hustle game brehs. What is the best language to use? I've fukked around with python before but shyt started confusing the hell out of me at some point along the way. Eventually I would like to develop a few apps and try my hand at web programming. Btw is this something I can teach myself or will I expedite the process significantly by taking an online course or something?

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Plenty of IT related infos in those two threads :
- http://www.thecoli.com/threads/developer-programming-information-and-careers-thread.116488/
- http://www.thecoli.com/threads/it-certs-and-careers-lets-discuss-it.9043/

There are some MOOC threads here :
- http://www.thecoli.com/threads/offi...ing-c-php-html-javascript-sql-courses.178201/
- http://www.thecoli.com/threads/online-courses-and-educational-tools-thread.5498/
- http://www.thecoli.com/threads/official-university-of-helsinki-java-mooc-thread.330661/

I'd say learning Java would be the most interesting language because it'll give you the basis to code for Android platforms but I'm not an IT breh. Brehs like @Data-Hawk, @bdizzle or @kevm3 will tell you better.

Also, maybe we should created an official "coding for rookies" thread with advices and help from the vets and sticky it. IT brehs, please share your thoughts.

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
I'm already learning python for scientific purposes in school, so I figured I'd just take it one language at a time and keep doing python. I also started fukking with code academy, but it seems pretty patronizing. I would just stick with my school's program but I'm afraid I won't get enough practice, or miss over important details that could be useful outside of a scientific context. ima keep looking for free online programs tho

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
I'm already learning python for scientific purposes in school, so I figured I'd just take it one language at a time and keep doing python. I also started fukking with code academy, but it seems pretty patronizing. I would just stick with my school's program but I'm afraid I won't get enough practice, or miss over important details that could be useful outside of a scientific context. ima keep looking for free online programs tho

12 Sites That Will Teach You Coding for Free

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Best bet since you know some Python. Think of a program you want to implement and find a open source program similar to it. Start changing and breaking things. Find bugs and improve it.

You can try codeplex.com

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Main thing to do is not be cheap and buy high quality resources. I've spent a small fortune on programming books and I do my best to work them cover to cover. My approach may not be for everyone, but it gives me varying perspectives on a particular language.

If you're interested in web programming, there are two divisions to it. There is server-side programming and there is front-end programming. Front-end programming is Javascript/HTML/CSS. Server-side programming allows you to use a variety of languages, such as CSS, Java, C#, Python etc. You'll have to deal with various front-end concepts regardless so I suggest taking time to learn HTML/CSS and Javascript.

The best thing I did was buy a kindle, which allowed me to get books instantly and work through them. The kindle is much gentler on the eyes than reading off an LCD screen. One of the first books you should start with is "Head first HTML/CSS" and work through that.

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
think of something you want to do
e.g.: build a tic tac toe app
learn as you go from googling

i like codeacademy a lot too

ReadOneBookAWeek

Smoking on a Cac Pack
Daps
Main thing to do is not be cheap and buy high quality resources. I've spent a small fortune on programming books and I do my best to work them cover to cover. My approach may not be for everyone, but it gives me varying perspectives on a particular language.

If you're interested in web programming, there are two divisions to it. There is server-side programming and there is front-end programming. Front-end programming is Javascript/HTML/CSS. Server-side programming allows you to use a variety of languages, such as CSS, Java, C#, Python etc. You'll have to deal with various front-end concepts regardless so I suggest taking time to learn HTML/CSS and Javascript.

The best thing I did was buy a kindle, which allowed me to get books instantly and work through them. The kindle is much gentler on the eyes than reading off an LCD screen. One of the first books you should start with is "Head first HTML/CSS" and work through that.
do you offer commercial services? I have a few websites and I'm looking to contract some capable techs

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
do you offer commercial services? I have a few websites and I'm looking to contract some capable techs

As of right now, there are some skills I still want to touch up on before I start going commercial because I don't like putting out mediocre work. What kind of work did you need done though?