Brittney Griner pleads guilty to drug charges during appearance in Russian court

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Griner pleaded guilty Thursday in a Russian court on drug charges that have led the U.S. government to classify her as "wrongfully detained."
Reuters reported from the courtroom that Griner entered a guilty plea. She could face a sentence of up to 10 years, while pressure from her supporters at home calling for her release grows.

Griner, speaking Thursday on the second day of her trial in a suburb of Moscow, has been in Russian custody since Feb. 17.

From NFL plays to college sports scores, all the top sports news you need to know every day.

"I'd like to plead guilty, your honor. But there was no intent. I didn't want to break the law," Griner said in English, per Reuters, which was then translated into Russian for the court.

Griner is due back in court next Thursday, Reuters reported. Her guilty plea is unlikely to change much, as her pre-trial detention had been extended last Monday for an additional six months. The trial could last that long, and there's a near certainty a predetermined outcome has already been decided at a higher level, Russian legal expert Jamison Firestone told USA TODAY.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Literally the only reason Putin is dragging this out is because he wants to exchange her for a notorious Russian arms dealer responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of people.

Her only crime was having cannabis oil in a couple vape cartridges and they're treating her like a political prisoner.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
I mean if we are keeping it a buck this is just generally an L for america. It's nothing to do with black women or men. A citizen of your country is getting oppressed by a foreign power. If you're the president you look like a whole b'tch by not doing anything about. This is the equivalent of someone barking at you on the street and then putting your head down and stuttering while trying to say something back.