Can anyone vouch for genealogy departments? Any experiences going to your local ones?

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
Taking a quick little trip out of state to where my family on both sides is from and just had an idea to stop by a genealogy department while down there, would it be worth the trip?

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Yeah especially if they have a strong lineage in the city/town. You should be able to go back quite a bit. It's only fruitless if your family doesn't have a long standing connection with the area.

rbksNgirbauds

Daps
Yeah especially if they have a strong lineage in the city/town. You should be able to go back quite a bit. It's only fruitless if your family doesn't have a long standing connection with the area.
Thank you. How many generations do they usually go back ? The history runs deep here (Alabama)

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Thank you. How many generations do they usually go back ? The history runs deep here (Alabama)
Honestly...It depends on how long they've been keeping records. shyt, you could go back a couple hundred years if the records keeping has been kept in order free from outside influences. IE CACS burning shyt down.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Do you mean a historical society?
Never seen brick and mortar genealogical society. Typically genealogical societies are groups formed by amateur genealogist who meet up at the library every few weeks do discuss research methods or findings.

rbksNgirbauds

Daps
Do you mean a historical society?
Never seen brick and mortar genealogical society. Typically genealogical societies are groups formed by amateur genealogist who meet up at the library every few weeks do discuss research methods or findings.
I'm really not even sure tbh. Just have an urge to take a look at the family origins

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I have non-direct experience. This historian reached out to couple of cousins and uncles, told us he was family and invited us to a Family reunion. We have a very large and extended family. Long story short, I was one of ones who made the trip down to NC....

This dude was apart of a chapter or whatever but he told us we descendants of two Nigerian POWs. Breh had the paperwork, ship names and dates. Our ancestor got sold separated from his brother and his children eventually started pawging then our history got hard to follow, for obvious reasons.

Had this whole presentation. Booklets....I lost them shyts, but a couple of us didnl 23andme tests and breh was spot on. And it turned out a couple of the friends and neighbors our grandparents were close with were unknowingly distant cousins. We're guessing ancestor was pawging with the local cacs but never left his original region. 2nd, 3rd cousins became friends of the family to those nice folks down the road. shyt still goes that way today. I treat some of my 3rd cousins like the homies. Some I'm actively trynna fukk.