Charles Blow, the Louisiana Native Guard, and the “Betrayal” of a Race

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
New York Times Op-Ed writer, Charles Blow, posted a short video about the First Louisiana Native Guard on his twitter page. His interest in the subject appears to be connected to a current book project. Unfortunately, Blow offers a rather misleading interpretation of the men who volunteered and briefly served in the unit.

First, Blow begins by framing his little discussion around free blacks that “either fought for or wanted to fight” for the Confederacy. This is problematic given that the Confederacy refused to accept the First Louisiana Native Guard into regular service. I have no idea what other free or possibly enslaved blacks he might be referencing as having “fought” in the Confederate army.

Of course, it is possible that a few of these men passed and were able to serve in a Confederate regiment, but many of these men also ended up serving in Union regiments following the capture of New Orleans in April 1862.

More problematic, however, is Blow’s characterization of these free blacks or creoles as having ‘betrayed’ their race. Blow is certainly entitled to assess these men as he sees fit, but there appears to be little understanding of the historical context surrounding their willingness to serve in or claims of loyalty to the Confederacy.

Many creoles in and around New Orleans did not consider themselves to be black in a city that bought and sold the highest number of black bodies in the antebellum period.

The relatively small number of free blacks in New Orleans and other locations in the new Confederacy lived precarious lives in 1861. In some cities such as Petersburg, Virginia free blacks accumulated property. Certainly these people worried about losing what little they had gained under a new government whose sole purpose was the preservation and expansion of slavery and white supremacy.

Just prior to secession, South Carolinians discussed re-opening the slave trade and in Georgia there was talk of re-enslaving free blacks. One can only imagine the sense of uncertainty and fear that free blacks felt. Their progress and the freedoms that free African Americans enjoyed in the South appeared to be closing in fast. None of this comes through in Blow’s account.

The problem with reducing the decision of free blacks (creoles) in New Orleans as ‘acts of betrayal’ is that it completely ignores this historical context and reinforces the neo-Confederate conviction that blacks were loyal to the Confederacy. I certainly don’t believe that Blow wants to do that.

I don’t discuss this history in any great detail in my forthcoming book, but I do reference the many distortions of this story by neo-Confederates and even Henry Louis Gates. Blow would do well to read James G. Hollandsworth’s book The Louisiana Native Guard: The Black Military Experience During the Civil War (LSU Press), which offers a rich interpretation of these men and New Orleans in the Civil War era.

Blow has written powerfully about Donald Trump’s manipulation of American history over the past few years, but he also has an obligation not to use history to reinforce his own agenda. More importantly, he has a duty to get this often misunderstood story right for his many readers and fans.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
See here Creole being used to refer to mixed race people of Black ancestry like this again @Supper @IllmaticDelta

From the article

Many creoles in and around New Orleans did not consider themselves to be black in a city that bought and sold the highest number of black bodies in the antebellum period.
The problem with reducing the decision of free blacks (creoles) in New Orleans as ‘acts of betrayal’ is that it completely ignores this historical context and reinforces the neo-Confederate conviction that blacks were loyal to the Confederacy. I certainly don’t believe that Blow wants to do that.

I am starting think this a fallacy of scholarship.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
See here Creole being used to refer to mixed race people of Black ancestry like this again @Supper @IllmaticDelta

From the article

It's all confusing - cause many of these people where just 1/4 White -- and they called them Creole. Many Free People of Color were just that -- mulatto or octoroon.

People used to call my maternal Great Grandad Creole -- and he's from Alabama - cause he was very light with gray eyes. Nah -- he was just a product of enslaved people who were violated.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

From the article

see my post

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/fet...na-history-people.704029/page-2#post-33368732

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
I question the motives of Charles Blow for focusing so intently on the "betrayal" aspect of this story. I could be wrong but even if you have free blacks who had a vested interest in the institution of slavery it would appear to me that the number would be minuscule compared to those who did not.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
It's all confusing - cause many of these people where just 1/4 White -- and they called them Creole. Many Free People of Color were just that -- mulatto or octoroon.

People used to call my maternal Great Grandad Creole -- and he's from Alabama - cause he was very light with gray eyes. Nah -- he was just a product of enslaved people who were violated.

That's what I am saying. I am trying to wrap my brain around how Creole is used in the USA and in references to Americans because the concept is foreign to the Anglosphere. I feel like what @IllmaticDelta and @Supper are putting down makes way more sense than just Creoles being free light skin Black folk because the term Free People of Color was used all over the world.

You can be free and not a quadroon or an octoroon or a mulatto.

Some scholars must have twisted up these definitions in ways that aren't congruent with historical reality.

Maybe there is like a colloquial speech where that Black folks from the Gulf used Creole to mean mixed race.

Maybe I am just thinking too much into it.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I question the motives of Charles Blow for focusing so intently on the "betrayal" aspect of this story. I could be wrong but even if you have free blacks who had a vested interest in the institution of slavery it would appear to me that the number would be minuscule compared to those who did not.

I think he's promoting that old school lightskinned Black folk who don't consider themselves Black being a traitor.

Because let's think about it this way.

There were Black folks pre-1776 that owned slaves. There were lightskin people who did not identify with the struggle and identified more or less with White society and White people accepted them - especially somewhere like Louisiana or the Northeast where being Bi-racial or 1/4th or 1/8th Black didn't soil your opportunities in life.

But like you said, that's an extreme minority of Black folk.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta

Very minuscule.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That's what I am saying. I am trying to wrap my brain around how Creole is used in the USA and in references to Americans because the concept is foreign to the Anglosphere. I feel like what @IllmaticDelta and @Supper are putting down makes way more sense than just Creoles being free light skin Black folk because the term Free People of Color was used all over the world.

basically, creole in the USA/Louisiana context means your ancestors were enslaved by mainly the French and sometimes, the Spanish.

You can be free and not a quadroon or an octoroon or a mulatto.

exactly...which is why there were both dark and light skinned free people of color

Some scholars must have twisted up these definitions in ways that aren't congruent with historical reality.

Maybe there is like a colloquial speech where that Black folks from the Gulf used Creole to mean mixed race.

Maybe I am just thinking too much into it.

it's combination of having a french (sometimes spanish) surname over an anglo one

and sometimes a phenotypical description akin to saying someone looks redbone/yellow/high yellow etc..