College Was Better Than Highschool Because It ALLOWED Me To Be A Free-Thinker

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Sorry for the double header, bout to go to the job, so I'll make this one here. Don't wanna forget the topic :jawalrus:

In highschool I was smart, but they didn't prepare you to become a freethinker. I would always ask questions, but some of the teachers would get pissed and give me the :usure: Yeah, I was on the honor roll, but only thing highschool did was prepare you for a test. They didn't help you with the workforce or life after highschool. However :jawalrus: in college that's when I kinda found myself personality wise and question things. Now, I dig deeper when I question something. Unlike I did in highschool. When a problem happens I look into the bigger issue. Did yall think like that?

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That is because college presses you to critically think and to research. High school doesn't teach you that. Why? Well, if you are in a public school, chances are they need you to get a certain score in their standardized test so they don't get shut down/lose more funding. Colleges and Universities end goal is to give you a well rounded education. Two different beasts.

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
I've been the same mentally since I was in the 9th grade. I like college waaaaaay better than high school though, especially your classes being over before 12PM. High school in my area lasted from 7:30AM to 2:20PM. What a drag. It's interesting how life immideately changes after high school though.

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
I don't see how the college curriculum was that much different from high school other than advanced/more intensive subject matter. I didn't really retain that much more information from college than I did from high school. Now, if you wanna talk about Grad/Professional School :whew:

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
That is because college presses you to critically think and to research. High school doesn't teach you that. Why? Well, if you are in a public school, chances are they need you to get a certain score in their standardized test so they don't get shut down/lose more funding. Colleges and Universities end goal is to give you a well rounded education. Two different beasts.
That hurts kids in the long run though. There's a lot of flaws in the public school system.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland

Best post yet.

College doesn't ALLOW it merely provides the environment for students that are tired of being told what to think and ready to challenge shyt. And that is the natural order of education, before you are free to think you must get tired. Otherwise your free thought will have much less value, 'causing you to be more destructive than instructive. After all we all know a smart-dumb nikka and how negative his/her influence can be if they're really taken seriously.

Try to talk to people who have never gone to HS but that have read a lot and you'll notice a few horrible lapses in basic knowledge that you'll not witness in someone that's been through the whole educational process with vigor.