Colombia's first Black vice president Francia Marquez vows to reduce inequality

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN

BOGOTA, Colombia — As Colombia’s voters put aside a longtime antipathy to leftists and chose one as their new president, they also carved out another milestone — electing the country’s first Black vice president.

When former leftist rebel Gustavo Petro takes office as president on Aug. 7, a key player in his administration will be Francia Marquez, his running mate in Sunday’s runoff election.

Marquez is an environmental activist from La Toma, a remote village surrounded by mountains where she first organized campaigns against a hydroelectric project and then challenged wildcat gold miners who were invading collectively owned Afro-Colombian lands.

The politician has faced numerous death threats for her environmental work and has emerged as a powerful spokeswoman for Black Colombians and other marginalized communities.

“She’s completely different than any another person that’s ever had a vice presidency in Colombia,” said Gimena Sanchez, the Andes director for the Washington Office on Latin America, a human rights group.

“She comes from a rural area, she comes from the perspective of a campesino woman and from the perspective of areas of Colombia that have been affected by armed conflict for many years. Most politicians in Colombia who have held the presidency have not lived in the way she has,” Sanchez said.

She said Marquez will likely be given the mandate to work on gender issues as well as policies affecting the nation’s Afro-Colombian population.

In several interviews. Petro has discussed creating a Ministry of Equality, which would be headed by Marquez and would work across several sectors of the economy on issues like reducing gender inequalities and tackling disparities faced by ethnic minorities.

Marquez said Sunday that part of her mission as vice president will be to reduce inequality.

“This will be a government for those with calluses on their hands. We are here to promote social justice and to help women eradicate the patriarchy,” she said on stage while celebrating the election results with thousands of supporters at a popular concert venue.

Marquez grew up in a small home built by her family and had a daughter when she was 16, whom she raised on her own. To support her daughter, Marquez cleaned homes in the nearby city of Cali and also worked at a restaurant while studying for a law degree.

She was awarded the 2018 Goldman Environmental Prize for her successful efforts to remove gold miners from the collectively owned Afro-Colombian lands around her village.

Marquez entered the presidential race last year as a candidate for the Democratic Pole party, though she lost out in an inter-party consultation in March to Gustavo Petro. But she gained national recognition during the primaries and received 700,000 votes, topping most veteran politicians.

In speeches calling for Colombia to confront racism and gender inequalities and to ensure basic rights for the poor, Marquez energized rural voters who have suffered from the country’s long armed conflict as well as young people and women in urban areas.

“All of us who work with her now believe in the power of women,” said Vivian Tibaque, a community leader in Bogota who worked on Marquez’s campaign. “We believe we can also defend out rights like Francia has defended hers.”

Political analysts said Marquez contributed to Petro’s campaign by reaching out to voters who felt excluded by the political system but did not trust the leftist parties that Petro, a former member of a rebel group, has been a part of throughout much of his career.

They said her presence on Petro’s ticket also motivated Afro-Colombian voters along the Pacific coast, where Petro won by big margins Sunday even as he barely won the contest by three percentage points.

“I don’t think Petro could’ve won the presidency without her.” Sanchez said. “There is a lot of distrust and suspicion towards the left in Colombia, partly because a lot of the left has been armed at some point in time.”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Good story. I believe she would be the 2nd Black female VP in Latin America. Think the first was the lady in Costa Rica, Epsy Campbell Barr, who is descended from a Jamaican family who emigrated there.

People are very cynical these days about how representation doesn't matter/it's just symbolism. I've always disagreed with that notion. At any given time, there are hundreds of Black people well suited and qualified to hold executive positions in govt. Always glad to see any of them actually decide to go into politics and win. Hopefully the first one goes in there and makes a difference for the other Black people in the society. But in the meantime, young Black children benefit from seeing it. Society tries to tell and show them what they cannot do/achieve 24/7. Seeing Black people in authority positions helps to counter some of that negative programming.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Good story. I believe she would be the 2nd Black female VP in Latin America. Think the first was the lady in Costa Rica, Epsy Campbell Barr, who is descended from a Jamaican family who emigrated there.

People are very cynical these days about how representation doesn't matter/it's just symbolism. I've always disagreed with that notion. At any given time, there are hundreds of Black people well suited and qualified to hold executive positions in govt. Always glad to see any of them actually decide to go into politics and win. Hopefully the first one goes in there and makes a difference for the other Black people in the society. But in the meantime, young Black children benefit from seeing it. Society tries to tell and show them what they cannot do/achieve 24/7. Seeing Black people in authority positions helps to counter some of that negative programming.

I don't know how true it is but I remember reading that so called "black on black" crime temporarily went down in America when Obama got elected. apparently the symbolism was so powerful it caused a temporary shift in a lot of black folk's consciousness to see a black man become President and embracing his family in front of the world. It also explains why cacs were going crazy with the 'cism and police murders increased. Symbolism DOES make a difference. the mere fact that the VP is dark skinned, natural, comes from the same harsh conditions etc makes it even more inspiring.

With that said, if Francia Marquez can improve conditions for the black population in Colombia that would be great. I've had good positive experiences with the black folk in Colombia when I was out there and I hope her election moves them to make great strides. I like the fact that she acknowledges the African Colombian population and doesn't shy away from it out of fear of what others will say. Everyone else looks out for their own.

nullnullnullnull

Peace ✌🏿
Daps

Colombian Vice President Francia Márquez denounces new plan to attempt on her life​

TeleSUR English
Jan 10, 2023
The Vice President of Colombia, Francia Marquez, confirmed on Tuesday the deactivation and destruction of a high explosive device on the road leading to her family residence. teleSUR

I wonder who is responsible?

During the late 2010s right wing paramilitary groups ie guns for hire by Colombian Nazis and drug traffickers, killed dozens of Afro-Colombian activists. The most prominent death was of black activist and feminist Emilsen Manyoma.

Colombia has a severe race issue. The hatred of Africanity runs deep in Colombia. I hope the VP and her family remain safe while she is in office.

Last edited:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
The first black (vice) president of any country will face these types of problems. It reminds me of when Obama was running for President and a couple of weirdo, basement dwelling loser neo nazis were planning to assassinate him while wearing tuxedos and top hats.... some real bizarre shyt.

I hope they've stepped up security so that these fools can't even get that close to her in future.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Bad Colombian sister builds on the science of respectability politics and representation.

10:11 is literally the same thing we say in America.

You be watching her channel too huh. Lemme see what's going on with this political topic and click play...
:mjpls::mjgrin: