Reppin
NULL
Paramount Sets Arrival Date For ‘Coming To America 2’
anthony-dalessandro.png

by Anthony D'Alessandro

February 11, 2019 11:07am

coming-to-to.jpg

Paramount

Paramount has announced that the as-yet-untitled Coming to America 2 will open on Aug. 7, 2020.

Related
'Pet Sematary' Trailer: The Seminal Stephen King Horror Is Here To Give You Endless Nightmares

The only other major studio release on that date is an untitled Warner Bros. pic.

Craig Brewer is set to direct the sequel to the 1988 blockbuster comedy. Eddie Murphy is poised to reprise his role as Akeem, the pampered African prince who became bored of potential marriage partners in a kingdom too in awe of him, and who traveled to Queens to go undercover and find a strong-willed woman he could respect.

In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long-lost son, and must return to America to meet the unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda.

Kenya Barris is rewriting a script by original Coming to America writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. Murphy is producing with Kevin Misher and Barris is exec producer.

Pic’s original cast included Arsenio Hall, who played the prince’s aide Semmi; Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker; John Amos, who played her father; and James Earl Jones, who played the king.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
chances of this hitting are slim, another classic going to be ruined :mjcry:

Nah, the original will always be GOAT status. I just don't want this to be total trash because it's not gonna be better than the original (99.9% sure).

But the son will make or break this easy.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jermaine Fowler to Co-Star With Eddie Murphy in ‘Coming 2 America’ (EXCLUSIVE)
By JUSTIN KROLL
kroll-e1456451604650.jpg

Justin Kroll
Film Reporter@krolljvarFOLLOW
Justin's Most Recent Stories
rexfeatures_9065632kx.jpg

CREDIT: INVISION/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK
Jermaine Fowler is set to play one of the leads opposite Eddie Murphy in Paramount’s sequel “Coming 2 America,” sources tell Variety.

“Hustle & Flow” helmer Craig Brewer is on board to direct the pic with the studio planning an August 7, 2020 release.

Plot details of “Coming 2 America” are unknown, as are the details of Fowler’s character.

Kenya Barris, who is executive producing, has been attached since 2017 to rewrite a script by original “Coming to America” writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. Murphy is producing alongside Kevin Misher.

The original movie starred Murphy as a charming African prince who traveled to New York City to escape an arranged marriage. Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones, Shari Headley, and John Amos co-starred in the the pic, which was a major hit, grossing nearly $300 million at the worldwide box office.

Fowler stars as Franco Wicks on “Superior Donuts” for CBS alongside Judd Hirsch and Katey Sagal. Most recently he starred opposite Zoey Deutch in “Buffaloed,” which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in April. He also appeared in the critically-acclaimed film “Sorry to Bother You” and on the HBO comedy series “Crashing.” He’s currently developing and executive producing a television series with Larry Wilmore and Quinta Bronson for CBS, and is in development on an original story, titled “The Come Up,” with New Line.

He is repped by WME, 3 Arts, Morris Yorn Barnes Levine and ID PR.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nah, the original will always be GOAT status. I just don't want this to be total trash because it's not gonna be better than the original (99.9% sure).

Yeah I’m with you. I don’t believe a sequel or reboot or remake can ruin an original. If you don’t like it, the first one doesn’t cease to exist. Can always ignore the one you don’t like and KIM

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

they need to follow the blue print and keep the comedy real jive & funky with a modern twist..possible!!

i'm just bit worried about the long span it will try and follow in..if this was made in the 80's or early 90's we would still get the culture and feel of the era!!

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
they need to follow the blue print and keep the comedy real jive & funky with a modern twist..possible!!

i'm just bit worried about the long span it will try and follow in..if this was made in the 80's or early 90's we would still get the culture and feel of the era!!
Over 30 years :why:

Eddie ain't been funny since Boomerang. :why:

Lord help them:why: