Reppin
Houston
egqrrp.jpg

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I bought that tape when it dropped because soul by the pound had nikkas hype previously..everyone in my hs was jammin this

I'm not saying you're lying, because tapes can obviously be dubbed, but it sold 2,000 first week. This shyt went under most people's radars when it dropped.

I had zero interest in this album because I thought his first album was terrible. The only reason I even ended up copping this a few months after it came out, was because they had it at a kiosk at Blockbuster Music.

Fred.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I'm not saying you're lying, because tapes can obviously be dubbed, but it sold 2,000 first week. This shyt went under most people's radars when it dropped.

I had zero interest in this album because I thought his first album was terrible. The only reason I even ended up copping this a few months after it came out, was because they had it at a kiosk at Blockbuster Music.

Fred.

Gotta agree here... "I Used To Love HER" was dope, but in terms of the average everyday person listening to and following rap at the time, I don't think Common was an unanimous vote as one of the best out there. It's just like how there are message board favorites, and then you go outside and a lotta niqqas never heard of these dudes. I would say in that time compared to the artists that were really gettin' love, Common was a nice MC amongst other nice MCs that also weren't getting a major amount of attention. Common was O.C., Common was Organized Konfusion, Common was Casual, Kurious, dudes like that. Not super-underground, but not about to be the next big thing either. In terms of people that your regular hip-hop listenin' niqqas were into, I wouldn't even say he was on par with Black Moon, Smif-n-Wessun, Jeru or any of those types.

That bein' said, "I Used To Love HER" pretty much saved his career. I can't imagine that without that record meaning what it meant, he would've seen album #3.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
That's cuz he was on the rappity rap tip. If you weren't rapping hardcore in 1994 you weren't going to ring out amongst the drug dealers. An they seemed to be the tastemakers of the time.

shyt, midnight marauders didn't really set the hood on fire and they were the alpha group of the rappity rap crowd.

If you were a "head" you knew and loved Common Sense in 1994.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest

1994 You were FIVE years old. Your breath carried the aroma of Captain Crunch mixed with Elmer's glue, combined with a week long drought of dental maintenance. The slobber from your lower mandible ran like the waters of the Nile upon your mangled Cheetos stained shirt as you froliced to the songs of Barney and Lamb Chop. For this was a time when your mother would routinely slap her forehead, crumble to the floor clasping her hands together and raising her eyes to the sky, occasionally glancing cringingly to baby pictures on her dresser. Lamenting to the god of the Hebrews as to why things in her household were the way they were.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Gotta agree here... "I Used To Love HER" was dope, but in terms of the average everyday person listening to and following rap at the time, I don't think Common was an unanimous vote as one of the best out there. It's just like how there are message board favorites, and then you go outside and a lotta niqqas never heard of these dudes. I would say in that time compared to the artists that were really gettin' love, Common was a nice MC amongst other nice MCs that also weren't getting a major amount of attention. Common was O.C., Common was Organized Konfusion, Common was Casual, Kurious, dudes like that. Not super-underground, but not about to be the next big thing either. In terms of people that your regular hip-hop listenin' niqqas were into, I wouldn't even say he was on par with Black Moon, Smif-n-Wessun, Jeru or any of those types.

That bein' said, "I Used To Love HER" pretty much saved his career. I can't imagine that without that record meaning what it meant, he would've seen album #3.

That's cuz he was on the rappity rap tip. If you weren't rapping hardcore in 1994 you weren't going to ring out amongst the drug dealers. An they seemed to be the tastemakers of the time.

shyt, midnight marauders didn't really set the hood on fire and they were the alpha group of the rappity rap crowd.

If you were a "head" you knew and loved Common Sense in 1994.

Both of these posts are 100% accurate.

Fred.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Huh?

He rarely "selected" beats. He was flanked by producer driven albums his whole career.

And still he had many shytty beats.