CREDIT CARD TIPS from Motife (Cashback/rewards on your CC)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I just found out you can now product change a Citi card into a Citi Custom Cash. This means you can have more than a single Citi Custom Cash card now. Some people claim to have 3 different ones. My Citi Double Cash will be product changed. If I wasn’t using it for so many streaming services the Blue Cash Preferred would be bushed over that. 5% back on 2 different consistent cards and couple that with the US Bank Cash+ and you’ll have a persistent 5% back on 4 different categories you never have to change. Toss in the Chase Freedom Flex and Discover It and if you’re Prime the Amazon card from Chase and you can damn near get 5% back on all purchases.
I just ordered the citi custom cash card last month. I'm using it for groceries. Already have a citi thank you preferred. I didn't know you could convert...I'm going to convert that one. Got to figure out what I'm going to do with it. Maybe Cable? I have to calculate my next biggest expense at the groceries.

What's the process?

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Just wanna break up the depressing, idiotic and weirdo threads in TLR and put yall on some financial game

It's nothin groundbreaking or rare, but I've shifted my thinking on using credit cards and now I put everything (other than rent/car payment) on credit.

If you aren't getting rewards (hotel stays, flight miles, etc) or cashback on your credit card. Find one that offers it! Credit cards incentivize spending.

• MOST IMPORTANT: STAY DISCIPLINED. If you couldn't cover the expense with cash don't use your credit card. That's how people get into debt "oh I have a $5,000 limit, I can pay this $1500 off later" and before you know it you could run it up. This a good philosophy to have even with 0% interest
  • Along the lines of interest, if your card is charging you interest, find one with an introductory 0% interest (usually 12-24 months). It'll give you the cushion if you do have to carry a balance month to month
  • IThe Amex thread on here has been helpful for me: Big Boy Club……Amex Gold & Platinum Discussion I also recommend the credit card and churning subreddits
My brotha knows what he's talking about

Hersh

Superstar
Daps
y'all need a gas card too.. last I checked some Penfield card gives u 6%..

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I just ordered the citi custom cash card last month. I'm using it for groceries. Already have a citi thank you preferred. I didn't know you could convert...I'm going to convert that one. Got to figure out what I'm going to do with it. Maybe Cable? I have to calculate my next biggest expense at the groceries.

What's the process?
I've read you call the number on the back of the card and tell them you want to product change it to a Citi Custom Cash.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I've read you call the number on the back of the card and tell them you want to product change it to a Citi Custom Cash.
If I can keep the credit history with the new card then I'm definitely doing it.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
If you not getting at least 2% cash back minimum on all your purchases you doing it wrong. More often than not you should be getting 5%.
Cards everyone should have.

US Bank Cash+
Amazon Prime Visa
Amex Blue Cash Preferred (or Everyday)
Chase Freedom Flex
Discover It
Citi Custom Cash
Citi Double Cash (or X1 or Wells Fargo Active Cash or Fidelity Visa or SoFi Mastercard or PayPal Mastercard)
Target Red Card

This is how you mostly get 5% cash back everywhere and yes you need 8 cards.
Is this still your current setup?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Is this still your current setup?
I downgraded the Blue Cash Preferred to a Blue Cash Everyday. I use it at Sam's Club for 3% back on the app scan and go. It also works for 3% back at Walmart for Walmart Pay in-store. I moved most of my streaming services to my Bank of America Cash Rewards Card where I have online shopping as the category. It overlaps with the Blue Cash Everyday but Bank of America damn near considers everything you buy online as online shopping so I get 3% when 5% isn't possible there.

For groceries I use the AAA Daily Advantage Visa Card for 5% cash back at grocery stores and surprisingly Walmart.

Product changed the Double Cash into a 2nd Custom Cash. One I use for gas and one for either restaurants or their select streaming services (Netflix, YouTube Premium) when I don't go out to eat much.

The rest of those cards I still use the same.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I downgraded the Blue Cash Preferred to a Blue Cash Everyday. I use it at Sam's Club for 3% back on the app scan and go. It also works for 3% back at Walmart for Walmart Pay in-store. I moved most of my streaming services to my Bank of America Cash Rewards Card where I have online shopping as the category. It overlaps with the Blue Cash Everyday but Bank of America damn near considers everything you buy online as online shopping so I get 3% when 5% isn't possible there.

For groceries I use the AAA Daily Advantage Visa Card for 5% cash back at grocery stores and surprisingly Walmart.

Product changed the Double Cash into a 2nd Custom Cash. One I use for gas and one for either restaurants or their select streaming services (Netflix, YouTube Premium) when I don't go out to eat much.

The rest of those cards I still use the same.

I'm thinking about upgrading to Blue Cash Preferred since it's free for a year. Then downgrade back down to Blue Cash Everyday.

I might open a Citi Double Cash as my everything else card. Then maybe product change to a Citi Custom Cash after a year. I already have two Custom Cash Cards.

The US Bank Cash card interests me. Just don't know If I want to deal with setting it up every quarter.

I rent so maybe I should get Bilt. I can't see myself using that card for anything else though.

I don't shop at warehouses or Walmart so I don't think about those rewards.

Last edited:

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Debit card, what is that?

Fam, I use my credit card for erything & pay in full every month! My cash back rewards been stacking for at least the last 8 years.:lawd:

Regarding the cc company wanting to protect their $, January last year I made a $3,100 purchase for an app I was developing for my company. My senior developer overpromised & underdelivered. By June, I decided to bush him and subsequently the app. I was able to call the cc company, file a dispute and get my $ back. GOAT situation.:wow:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm thinking about upgrading to Blue Cash Preferred since it's free for a year. Then downgrade back down to Blue Cash Everyday.

I might open a Citi Double Cash as my everything else card. Then maybe product change to a Citi Custom Cash after a year. I already have two Custom Cash Cards.

The US Bank Cash card interests me. Just don't know If I want to deal with setting it up every quarter.

I rent so maybe I should get Bilt. I can't see myself using that card for anything else though.

I don't shop at warehouses or Walmart so I don't think about those rewards.
Bilt is mostly for people into travel. I’m into getting cash back so even though I rent I haven’t bothered with it. My rent is $650 a month so I’d get back about $78 annually but I’d also have to spend on the card 5x a month. The value is transferring to travel partners for more than 1x cash back.