Depressed folks...Get in here! (A thread on how to identify emerging and fight deep depression)

Discussion in 'The Locker Room' started by Biblical Goon, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I see a lot of threads on depression which makes a lot sense in this day and age since western society is a complete dumpster fire imo but speaking to especially black men (females as well) society is not kind to us, we have to work 3 times as the next person as it seems...One day those cards you've been stacking neatly on the table will collapse and who will be there to help you rebuild?

This thread is for you.

We're going break down the symptoms and habits that lead to depression, ways to quickly re-direct your negative thoughts, boost dopamine levels (healthy dopamine) and how to maintain a overall healthier lifestyle and slowly pull yourself out of your own turmoil. Im here to provide tangible solutions to depression, these are things everyone can do to improve their mental health.

A little background story first if you're interested and will provide some context.
    I've battled through depression from 2015 to late 2017. It was rough....financially i was in a rut, my relationship was failing because of it. I lost my Job in the summer for 2015 and i slowly but surely spiraled to the point i was back at my parents house. I literally hid in my room for weeks/months at a time. I rarely bathed, rarely ate, was completely broke and didn't have any back-up plans to fall on and my relationship was completely done. I was always angry, snapping on my family members because i was always annoyed at something for no good reason and i was good a lying about any and everything. My life was a lie...that is what i told myself.

One thing that was always consistent was my use of the internet and social media. Even if i was not even posting anything i would always log into facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube..ect. Living my life through another person's lens (the thought of that is depressing in itself) but at that time i did not see anything wrong with it. Also the money i was getting i was spending on weed and video games, things that would temporarily take my mind off my problems and increasing anxiety and depression.

I got to the point that i locked myself into my closet one night and contemplated on hanging myself one night. I sat there and cried my eyes out the entire night until i fell asleep. At that point i hit my personal rock bottom...i know my situation was much better than most being that i had a place to lay my head and food to eat but depression will convince you that none of that stuff matters. I had hit my personal rock bottom at the age of 28 and i literally felt out of options and the world was better off without me.

After waking up that night, something snapped and i was sick of feeling like this day after day, something needed to be done but what? So i made a list of things that made me feel good and bad.

Signs of Depression

I think half the battle of depression is being honest with yourself, avoiding and pushing things aside to deal with later is a textbook way of setting yourself up for slow and deep depressing state. These are my own personal symptoms but i feel a lot of you can relate.

1. Sleeping

One of the first things i noticed was i would feel better when everyone else was sleep, i felt safe and i could avoid interaction with everyone in my house so i would stay up all and creep around all night and sleep throughout the day. Even when i had my job, i would still stay up until the point i would have to wake up in 2 or 3 hours to go to work. This alone would take a major toll in my mental health for years to come.

2. Cleanliness/Hygiene

One thing that could trigger depression and you might not even be conscious of it is being in a filthy environment and not taking care of basic hygienic needs. My room was always dirty, where ever i took my clothes off they stayed there. Where ever i ate, those containers would sit there and rot. Water bottles, Soda cans, Whataburger bags filled my room and i had no desire to clean it. I was not in a relationship so my thinking was why should i even take a shower or brush my teeth today? not like anyone is going see me or care anyway so ill clean it tomorrow...there is always tomorrow i would say to myself. My bathroom? forget about it... it was disgusting. Think about the show hoarders and how those people are literally sick from simply not cleaning, this a simple philosophy but a lot of depressed people do not realize the impact of being in a dirty space does to their psyche.

3. Fitness/Physical health

After months of being in my bed or not leaving my room i noticed a change in my body. No longer was i this muscular, clean cut dude but i was frail, scraggly fella that i was not familiar with. Being on my feet started to feel like a chore and my appetite had completely changed since i was not expending any energy other than to move around my room. This did a profound number on my confidence and mental state. I would look in the mirror at myself with complete disgust so most times i didn't even look in the mirror ...so i would completely avoid the mirror all together.

4. Finances

After losing my job in 2015, this changed everything. I suddenly had more time to dwell in my new found circumstance and i was living with my girl. My girl's parents were rich, she had no clue what it like to struggle financially so this put a massive amount of pressure on me so i start to sell my music equipment to get us by. Luckily i had over 10k worth of equipment, so this lasted until the lease was up but the damage was already done. I lost my car as well so this was the beginning of the end for me. I no longer had the freedom of movement.

5. Social Media/Internet

Like i said in my personal story, this is a huge contributing factor to not only my own depression but i think this is one of the top causes of emerging depression in our society. I've grown up with the internet, i've been on forums and social media since its first days but never have ive been on the internet at time of just constant toxic news and negativity. And being that my internet use has never changed since childhood, my exposure to this wave of negativity was constant. Not only this but following celebrities and internet personalities and even childhood friends and comparing my own seemingly fruitless life was only adding gasoline to the fire. The Coli absolutely did not help either almost by impulse im always checking TLR and we all know the type of negativity that runs rampant through here.

6. Weed and or Alcohol

This one may vary for certain people but for me personally this only made my problem worse. At first it gave me a false sense of security, smoking relieved all of the tension i had for a few hours. My thinking was if it can relieve it for a few hours, why not the entire day? So i bought more weed so i could just stay high throughout the day. This created the problem of dependency, i needed it to function and i found it no longer protected me from my anxiety and started to do the completely opposite but i was convinced that this was the only thing that could help so i kept smoking. This added a completely new layer and depth to my depression. This was an addiction.

These things absolutely killed my motivation to do anything but sink deeper into my mind. My days melted into each other, slept entire days avoid interaction and only woke up to get on the internet and fed myself unhealthy amounts of negativity. What is there left for me to other than to take my own life? This was my thinking at that time.

Pulling Yourself Up

After making this list of things that was causing me to lose my mind, I decided enough was enough. First things i did was

1. CLEAN

This is the easiest thing you can do and one of the most effective. Gather your cleaning tools, supplies and clean like you're inviting God himself into your space. Vacuum, dust, mop...discard old things you have no idea why you've been holding on to. Don't think about just do it, you'll thank me. Don't half ass it and clean your restroom, tub and toilet/behind your toilet...every surface you can find. After this take a hot shower and groom yourself. Get a haircut or trim, cut your finger and toe nails. This will be massive improvement to your mental health once your done w/ these task. Also this doesn't just mean cleaning your area but thoroughly cleaning everything including your digital space...clean your computer, tablets and phones. Electronics are apart of us now, these are a direct reflection of ourselves. If you have junk on your devices toss it and don't look back. Clear your browser history, change your wallpaper....we are starting over. Which brings us to step 2...

2. LOG OFF

Clearing your browser history should have logged you off of your social media but facebook, instagram, snapchat, ect still have apps...Log off of all them and delete them. It will be difficult because our brains wants those notifications, we are wired to crave them as much as sugar but that is the point. No more notifications...turn them off. Trust me the effect of deleting these will not be as immediate effect as step one cleaning but in a few days you'll see a vast improvement of your overall mood once you have weened yourself off these things. Go on your youtube, delete your watch history and this will clear the recommendations. Simple things like this will help redirect you. Sub to the thread on the coli and avoid everything else in TLR/JBO or any other toxic sub forum.

3. SET ALARMS

After cleaning your computers and such take your phone and set alarms to sleep and to wake up, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. We'll work in some other things such as a workout plan into the alarm system but the most important part right now is getting you into the routine of sleeping a decent time and waking up in the morning. (obviously this lightly apply to people w/ strict job schedules)

My first alarm is at 6:30 AM, this is essential..getting up early in the morning can change the dynamic of your entire day if you're doing something productive/creative. Get up, shower, pray meditate or whatever you do but it will be so much better in your new clean space.

and my sleep alarm is set to 11:30am, if you can sleep earlier is great but you need to be well rested. Alot of depressions is attributed to not having the proper rest or over resting. This is a good sweet spot and starting point.

4. WORK OUT PLAN

I can make a whole thread on this subject alone! i can't tell you how important consistent exercise does to your physical and mental health. If your body is sick your mind is going to follow. This can also be the toughest part for some people but it is very very necessary if you want relief and a way out of your depression. I want you to take piece of paper and create a chart...we're going to make a simple chart of daily exercises w/ reps you can do in your room at home

[​IMG]

Starting with
    1 set of climbers (20 reps)
    1 set of pushups (10 reps, adding 1 rep per day) If you do 20 push ups today, do 21 pushups tomorrow and so on.
    1 set of bicycle crunches (20 reps)
    1 set of 30 sec plank (use your phone to set a 30sec timer)
    1 set of 5 burpees

and we're going to do these atleast twice a day, a whole routine at wake up and another before bed. We're going to slowly increase the reps daily but the most important part is having the chart and checking off each exercise and track our progress.

5. DIET

This is going to be difficult so over time i will create a comprehensive meal plan that will benefit most adults overtime. Im 5'10 currently 175 pounds and gaining. My Goal is 185 and my daily calorie intake is 2200 minimum w/ alot protein for muscle growth. If you want to PM your Goals i can personally come up with a plan that will start you off with, but it is very important that we eat properly and get the proper nutrition that will be helpful for mental and physical health.

6. MONEY

This is another difficult subject because different circumstances and backgrounds/education but if we can establish a basic side hustle we can get you on path to getting yourself out of your financial rut if that is a problem for you. To be continued.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the basic building blocks i came up with to help gain your confidence, mood and mental outlook that could help with your depression. These are not guaranteed to fix your problems but this thread is designed to pin-point general problems and create solutions. If you have anything to add to thread feel free but i will be periodically adding more things to this threads.

Would be great is this was stickied mods :obama: i feel this a relevant and important topic this forum needs.

Also brehs if you guys are into maybe i can create a video series going into further detail my daily routine and how i was able to get out my depressive state and maintain mental and physical health.

And also if you wanna make a small donation if you like the video series idea or just appreciation would be great.

Donate

------------------------------------------

If you're feeling suicidal or you ran out of options seek help immediately!

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-8255

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Camammal

Camammal Half Man Half Mammal

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Marcy
    Coli Cash:
    $339136.00

:ohhh:excellent thread and idea.

3. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Some insight into social media addictions and effects on your mental health. Ill do my own personal video on it but this is a good watch nonetheless

4. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I know yall want to avoid this thread but i know a good majority of you on the coli are going through depression. We live in the same day and age, its a worldwide problem.. we can work through this as a community brehs. Don't wait till you have no way out to recognize the signs and make changes.

Tikal, Oatmeal, Ashyneezz and 25 others dapped this.
  5. JQ Legend

JQ Legend Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $300000.00

I wish the black/Latino community realized shrooms are just as natural as marijuana

Whenever I tried to cop shrooms I'd get the ":rudy: that's white boy shyt"

6. GigoloGeoff

GigoloGeoff All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Good stuff. Most of us are depressed because we know that we're not living up to our full potential.

I'm determined to get out of it. Just washed my gym clothes so I'll be back in the gym for the first time in months, tomorrow. That should be a good start for me

BlueHeffner, serial, King Khufu and 26 others dapped this.
  7. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

which is why seldom recommend shrooms to black people...unless their open minded, their negative connotation of shrooms will manifest in their trip. Shrooms are actually excellent for depression

8. JAY?

JAY? All Star Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Queens
    Coli Cash:
    $242045.00

Great post
    Everybody deals with depression differently. I've been battling it since a child. I've gone to therapy for like 3 sessions a year or 2 ago. I started with another therapist today and plan on staying. I've been separated from my girl for the last 2 months so it's kinda hitting me hard again

To respond to your situation
    I sleep fine
    My apartments is always maintained
    My finances are good
    I never ate the greatest
    I never really worked out although I'm buying a home gym this week. I know it's probably better to get out the house but I know I wouldn't do it
    Thecoli is the closest thing I have to social media

My girl and my moms are in the field so I get a lot of insight

If any of ya need help or are curious to how it works you can contact NYC WELL
    888-NYC-WELL

You can talk to someone on the phone, thru text or they can set you up with somebody in person. You don't have to be from NY

9. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I think our idea of full potential have been skewed by social media... people are looking up to too many celebrities and their own self worth suffers because they feel its impossible to live up to those standards. People on social media are only capturing the best parts of their lives, looking their best...i think that does something to the average person that is triggering this wave of millennials being depressed.

Being physically fit is the foundation and congrats hitting up the gym breh, that will certainly aid you. I suggested cutting down on social media, even this site along with that.

10. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Fitness is most important imo You should look into those workout routines breh, definitely don't have to wait til you get your home gym to get started. 100 push-ups, Sit-ups, Squats a day should be a standard for every man/woman along with a sound diet. Whole foods, 2 liters of water, fruits and minimum sugar.

11. Camammal

Camammal Half Man Half Mammal

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Marcy
    Coli Cash:
    $339136.00

Going to the gym has literally changed my life, it makes you eat better and live better once you start getting into healthy routines.

12. JAY?

JAY? All Star Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Queens
    Coli Cash:
    $242045.00

The shyt with working out is that you have to want to do it. I find push ups boring so I don't really be into it. I do need to incorporate more water and less sugar into my daily meals

richaveli83, Barnett114, BoBurnz and 2 others dapped this.
  13. Ya' Cousin Cleon

Ya' Cousin Cleon happy father of two

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Harvey World/DFW
    Coli Cash:
    $250500.00

for those worried about the fate of the world

can't be stressed enough about that thread​

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Tikal, Barnett114, BoBurnz and 6 others dapped this.
  14. Biblical Goon

Biblical Goon All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

You gotta challenge yourself sometimes to make it fun, like with push ups...make a chart and see how many you can do in a day and within 2 weeks if you do them daily you'll notice you can do more of them and push yourself more each day. I went from not being able to do 10 without dying to doing 300 a day within a short amount of time. Its almost like seeing yourself level-up, its really dope. Then you can do diamond push-ups and clapping push-ups once you really get into it

King Khufu, Barnett114, K33M and 4 others dapped this.
  15. The Darkness Monster

The Darkness Monster Ain't shyt

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Houston
    Coli Cash:
    $344800.00

I'm trying. Social media is tough because a lot of my friends are on it but I will try.

Following. Need to read more.