Do anyone know of any successful Paralegals?

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
i heard it was hella hard for low pay and its rare to move up and do other kind of work, if you want to use it as a way to jump into higher paying work

law is just super saturated

Cute Fattie

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Where the sun is always shinin..
well it made the yahoo 2011 top 5 booming career fields..I believe it was #4 and with an ass. in paralegal studies u can get a job with a starting salary of 40k. I have 2 more semesters left until I earn my assc. I just might get my bachelors also in 2 or 3 years or so...idk though...havent made up my mind.

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
I know successful paralegals; they usually work for the bigger firms and have mad experience... paralegal is a terrible profession to get into right now because with the state of the economy, there's 1) a lot of experienced paralegals are unemployed and looking for work and 2) with the average attorney's salary dropping and law schools pumping out more and more attorneys, a firm could just as easily hire some new lawyer out of school for $40K who can do everything that a paralegal can and then some

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
I know its not a great barometer, but signing up on Monster really helped me get a better understanding for what companies were looking for and what type of jobs were available. I quickly understood that accounting and computer science >>> right now for younger people..I'd second the above on paralegals..some lawyers I know are struggling, I can only imagine that its tougher on paralegals.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
paralegals only hit for 40k if they get picked up by a firm and those jobs usually go to jd carrying folks not aa carrying folks

and with the economy rough for them too the ability to get hired by any kind of firm as a paralegal out of a 2 year cc is looking bad. not only would you have to compete with other paralegals for that job but you would have to compete with them jd's too

you really have to look at working for gov and maybe trying to move into doing public defense but thats usually reserved for lawyers at the end of their careers or just starting out looking to branch out eventually to a firm. so just to do that you have to squeeze in with them too. and the pay sucks its wayyyy > 40k

i was looking into being a paralegal too

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol wtf?

Why would you want to be a paralegal?

Its a dead end career. You're gonna be an assistant doing the bytch work for the rest of your life and you'll Max out at 60-70k if you're lucky

And to the above poster if you're working as a paralgeal after getting a jd you might as well kill yourself

Even if the lawyers let you work on something substantive you'll never get any of crdeditt

Go to law school and do the real thing

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Lol wtf?

Why would you want to be a paralegal?

Its a dead end career. You're gonna be an assistant doing the bytch work for the rest of your life and you'll Max out at 60-70k if you're lucky

And to the above poster if you're working as a paralgeal after getting a jd you might as well kill yourself

Even if the lawyers let you work on something substantive you'll never get any of crdeditt

Go to law school and do the real thing

Pfft law school even sucks now. fukk that. The legal market is dried up and there is no place for new graduates unless you've got top grades from a top 14 law school.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pfft law school even sucks now. fukk that. The legal market is dried up and there is no place for new graduates unless you've got top grades from a top 14 law school.

Not exactly true. You need top (10%-15%) grades from a top 100 or top 50 school. If you're at a top 14 you only really need to finish in the top half and you're probably fine.

But I'd rather play that game than try to be a fukking career paralegal :scusthov: or at least explore other career options

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I personally know one of the top paralegals in the world. Female. At a huge firm in Boston. She pulls in 125k a year. Its rare though that that ever happens.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Yeah I know a bunch they make good money in traffic and small claims court

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I know successful paralegals; they usually work for the bigger firms and have mad experience... paralegal is a terrible profession to get into right now because with the state of the economy, there's 1) a lot of experienced paralegals are unemployed and looking for work and 2) with the average attorney's salary dropping and law schools pumping out more and more attorneys, a firm could just as easily hire some new lawyer out of school for $40K who can do everything that a paralegal can and then some

That is exactly the opposite. This is why paralegals are getting hired lol. But the legal field is another topic entirely.