Do You need a co-signer with all student loans?

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
I am contemplating taking out a student loan.

But when I try to fill out the application for it, it tells me that I need a co-signer. Are there any student loans that does not need a co-signer?

YoungSkeezy

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
unless you have really good credit, which 99.999999999% of students don't, then yes

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
do you know the specific ones?

Generally speaking, most students loans require a co-signer. I know people in credit trouble because they were kind enough to help others and those individuals did not finish school and subsequently defaulted on their loans.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
A federal student loan (FAFSA) does not require a co-signer unless you are a dependent, which in that case you would need a parent or guardian. A private student loan can require a co-signer. Your credit score or debt has no impact on a federal student loan, but a private student loan is based on your financial/credit history.

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
A federal student loan (FAFSA) does not require a co-signer unless you are a dependent, which in that case you would need a parent or guardian. A private student loan can require a co-signer. Your credit score or debt has no impact on a federal student loan, but a private student loan is based on your financial/credit history.

In order to file independent I will have to prove that I can take care of myself financially? Because as of now I'm dependent status on my fafsa.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
In order to file independent I will have to prove that I can take care of myself financially? Because as of now I'm dependent status on my fafsa.

in order to be independent you don't have to prove anything, you just simply declare yourself to be independent and make sure nobody is claiming you are their dependent

If somebody filed taxes saying you where their dependent then you are a dependent, if you want to be independent tell whoever claimed you as a dependent to stop

Olivia Pope

Banned
Daps
Reppin
City of Peace of Mind
in order to be independent you don't have to prove anything, you just simply declare yourself to be independent and make sure nobody is claiming you are their dependent

If somebody filed taxes saying you where their dependent then you are a dependent, if you want to be independent tell whoever claimed you as a dependent to stop

My mom isnt claiming me on her taxes but I do have her tax info on my fafsa though. If I delete her tax info off of my fafsa will it effect my financial aid money?

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
if you are younger than 24, you are still considered a dependent student regardless whether she claims you or not

until age 24 you wont receive full aid from your school

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
if you are younger than 24, you are still considered a dependent student regardless whether she claims you or not

until age 24 you wont receive full aid from your school

Is this only a college thing? I'm pretty sure that this does not apply to graduate/professional schools.

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
Only needed a cosigner with parent loans (which I never got but you have to be turned down for them to get additional public loans, like Stafford loans are increased when this happens..which don't often wont just tell you). Never had a cosigner for any of mine.