Does anyone else notice or recognize planets when they look up at the sky?

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Venus, Mars and Jupiter are extremely visible at certain times of the year. When I point them out to people they all look up like :dwillhuh:

Most of them thought they were bright stars.
Every star I see in the sky is a planter system orbiting that star, even the most faint ones :wow: if only I had a stargate to travel the galaxy and meet new women and see new places :wow:

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Venus, Mars and Jupiter are extremely visible at certain times of the year. When I point them out to people they all look up like :dwillhuh:

Most of them thought they were bright stars.
Most people can’t. :manny:

People only really memorized them for navigation back in the day. It’s not a terribly useful skill in 2020. It’s the equivalent of using Morse code or knowing (and using) cursive English.

Hell, I’m only aware of Venus because Bill Nye told my 7yr old azz that it’s the brightest thing in the sky. Think of how few children actually paid attention to him.:hubie:

Daps
As much interest as I have in the cosmos, I can’t tell any of the planets at night.

This. I love astronomy and have always loved stargazing, but distinguishing planets from stars isn't easy, even with apps and skymaps.

Spotting constellations is a different story. But planets? Nah. And every planet is detectable with the naked eye if you know where and when to look.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
As much interest as I have in the cosmos, I can’t tell any of the planets at night.

This. I love astronomy and have always loved stargazing, but distinguishing planets from stars isn't easy, even with apps and skymaps.

Spotting constellations is a different story. But planets? Nah. And every planet is detectable with the naked eye if you know where and when to look.

They are normally the brightest and more importantly, they dont flicker or "twinkle".

And you can sometimes make out the brownish color of mars

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Most people can’t. :manny:

People only really memorized them for navigation back in the day. It’s not a terribly useful skill in 2020. It’s the equivalent of using Morse code or knowing (and using) cursive English.

Hell, I’m only aware of Venus because Bill Nye told my 7yr old azz that it’s the brightest thing in the sky. Think of how few children actually paid attention to him.:hubie:
For navigation and almanacs and farming.

It's part of the Serpent Wisdom

Daps
They are normally the brightest and more importantly, they dont flicker or "twinkle".

And you can sometimes make out the brownish color of mars

That whole "planets don't twinkle" shyt we learned in grade school is straight bull hockey gobbledygook to me. :leostare:

Light is gonna react differently because of various factors. I've seen Venus "twinkle" plenty of times. Watery eyes, moon luminosity, etc. Sounds all good but in my experience it's not really helpful in distinguishing stars from planets.