Donald Glover says Tina Fey told him he was a “diversity hire” on ’30 Rock’

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
If anything NBC fukked up by not locking up Glover after he both wrote on 30 Rock AND was the breakout star of Community. The execs should’ve been falling all over themselves to get him signed to a development deal but of that was the case Atlanta probably wouldn’t have become what it was

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If anything NBC fukked up by not locking up Glover after he both wrote on 30 Rock AND was the breakout star of Community. The execs should’ve been falling all over themselves to get him signed to a development deal but of that was the case Atlanta probably wouldn’t have become what it was
Apparently other networks were interested, found an article where it was said FX’s ability to work around his touring schedule played a big part in his decision.

But this was also around the time FX had Louis CK’s show and it was clear he had complete creative control and could do some out there things other networks wouldn’t let him do. I’m sure that played a role.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Some of her pitches were wild as hell, and they were just so good and so funny,” said Nabers. “She’s an incredible writer. She brought a lot to the table. She’s really, really dedicated to her craft.”
:whew:yea imma need to stay tuned with the young lady..this is interesting.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
its a subplot of an episode and they find out Liz (Tina) was also a diversity hire

I'm just about to finish my annual rewatch and it really has a near flawless first four seasons, an okay fifth and then just falls off a cliff
I don't think there will be a sitcom of like it again. the rate of jokes and references that they were just constantly hitting was crazy

shyt, Tina wouldve probably nudged him away from it... she went right to Netflix with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
and she at least had Lorne Michaels in her corner during 30 Rock

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So what she is saying we will hire you over a lesser talented and creative cac because.

At least they admit the bullshyt

Daps
Yeah, it's been spoken on. NBC had a diversity program where a show could hire a diverse creative and it not be a part of their budget.
This sounds like a good program. Doesn’t guilt or force diversity hires, but provides and incentive for doing so.