Donna Summer’s Estate Sues Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign for Unauthorized Interpolation of ‘I Feel Love’

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Donna Summer’s estate has sued Kanye West and Ty Dolla Sign for copyright infringement over the unauthorized interpolation of the late singer’s “I Feel Love” on their song “Good (Don’t Die).”

The suit, filed in California on Tuesday, asserts that West and Ty initially asked for permission to sample and use parts of “I Feel Love” on “Good (Don’t Die),” and were explicitly denied. “Good (Don’t Die)” is included on the duo’s latest album “Vultures 1,” featuring a female voice singing altered lyrics to the melody of “I Feel Love.”

After the release of “Vultures 1” in early February, Summer’s husband Bruce Sudano took to socials to publicly denounce the interpolation on the song. “@kanyewest asked permission to use Donna Summer’s song I Feel Love, he was denied… he changed the words, had someone re sing it or used AI but it’s I Feel Love… copyright infringement!!!” he wrote. Soon after, “Good (Don’t Die)” was removed from Spotify, yet returned this past weekend with different album art. As of now, the song has once again been made unavailable to stream on the platform.

Sudano is the main plaintiff in the suit, which claims that the estate rejected West’s request to clear the song’s use because of the rapper’s “controversial history.” Last month, an entity named Alien Music made the request to Summer’s estate on West’s behalf and submitted a clearance request to use excerpts. The estate denied clearance on Feb. 3, communicating the rejection in writing and twice over the phone. After the denial, Alien Music allegedly went to Summer’s label Universal Music Enterprises, which also denied usage.

The filing seeks to “recover compensatory damages, maximum statutory damages, attorneys’ fees and disgorgement of any profits.” The suit is requesting $150,000 for each act of infringement. Attorneys for Sudano write that the case is “about protecting Summer’s own musical legacy and one of popular music’s most influential and ground-breaking songs.”

Lawyers for Sudano and the Summer estate declined to comment, while an inquiry made to representatives for West went unanswered.

“Vultures 1” has been plagued with issues since its release. Ozzy Osbourne asserted that West used a sample of a Black Sabbath song without permission, writing that he denied usage “because he is an antisemite and has caused untold heartache to many.” After the album hit streaming services, it was removed from Apple Music and iTunes amid word that the record’s distributor, FUGA, was working to have it pulled from platforms. Soon after, it returned thanks to Label Engine, which is now reportedly in charge of distribution.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
Good!!!!
sue that c00n fakkit.
UKVu0t8.gif

TEXAS MANDINGO

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
Sample snitches get stitches.
But i see yall dont have no morales when it comes to this HIP HOP shyt.

Samples, cleared or not, IS THE HEART OF THIS SHYT.

But thats differrent tho am i righ?
bytch nikka he asked to clear the shyt and they explicitly said NO

Then he hired some bytch to sing it thinking they wouldn't be able to do shyt about it

He was just asking for the lawsuit

fukk Kanye!

Yes some nikkas got away with sampling without permission back in the day
Yes some nikkas sample (like Big KRIT)but release the songs for free
He can still get sued for profiting off the songs when he perform them or shoot videos that make bread on YouTube
It hasn't happened yet

Again fukk Kanye!

JUSTIN HERBERT

Banned
Bushed
Daps
bytch nikka he asked to clear the shyt and they explicitly said NO

Then he hired some bytch to sing it thinking they wouldn't be able to do shyt about it

He was just asking for the lawsuit

fukk Kanye!

Yes some nikkas got away with sampling without permission back in the day
Yes some nikkas sample (like Big KRIT)but release the songs for free
He can still get sued for profiting off the songs when he perform them or shoot videos that make bread on YouTube
It hasn't happened yet

Again fukk Kanye!

I guess its fukk Madlib, fukk Dilla, fukk premo and fukk anyone who samples !!