East Africa... The Rising Lions of Africa?

Discussion in 'The Root' started by KidStranglehold, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Diasporan Royalty

Diasporan Royalty Wholesome Negro Staff Member Hall of Fame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You heard it from me first. I posted something similar to this in the "The Africa the Media doesn't tell you about" thread and now I want to make a thread about this. To me East African countries like Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia are going to be the stars of Africa or rising lions in the coming future in my opinion. Either of those big three are going to be the giants of Africa(could have been the DRC:no:).

When it comes to Tanzania and Kenya I consider them to be in what I call a "safe zone" in Africa. What I mean is that they are away from dangerous conflicts that can spill in their countries as we've seen with West Africa and Central Africa. Now I know that Kenya is right next door to Somalia and Somali radicals have done terrorist acts in Kenya, but those radicals have NOT successfully OCCUPIED Kenya like the radicals seen in Northern Nigeria, Mali, Eastern Congo, Southern Algeria, etc. Kenya has not only been successful at keeping them at bay but the Somali terrorism seems to have cooled down. And Somalia as a country seems to be calming down to peace and so Kenya has no worries from terrorism.

Anyways like I said Kenya and Tanzania for the most part are in the safe zone. Southern Africa region COULD have EASILY been the rising lions but sadly we are seeing a domino effect that spread from SA and even Botswana who many saw as an African success story is going broke. Botswana one of the most stable countries in Africa is seeing a stagnated economy due to its exports of diamonds slowly down.
    Botswana’s Diamond Exports Extend Decline
    Diamonds.net - Botswana’s Diamond Exports Extend Decline

The economy needs to diversify.

Horn of Africa outside of Ethiopia barely had a chance. A West Africa with Nigeria leading ECOWAS could have been a dream come true and the giant of Africa but a sloppy Nigeria continues to drop the ball along with an in debt Ghana.
    Ghana’s debt rises to GHC105bn
    Ghana’s debt rises to GHC105bn

Next we have more and more Islamic radicals taking over West Africa from Mali, Northern Nigeria and Niger. At this point o me the Horn of Africa is more in the safe zone than West Africa. Of course we have some West African countries growing like Ivory Coast and Senegal, but to me their economy is not as big as Ethiopia's, Kenya's or Tanzania's nor do they have the potential to lead West Africa like Nigeria can.

Finally we have Central Africa with wasted potential like the DRC and a Angola which refuses to diversify.
    Angola: Economy Diversification Deemed Big Challenge for Angola
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201605140243.html

Anyways, at first i was hesitant to add Ethiopia due to what my sister there been telling me about the semi-dictatorship government, the protesters, state of emergency, ethnic groups being marginalized and a good number of the population living in poverty. But Ethiopia as of recently been surprising me. First with it continuing to have among the fastest growing economies in the world.
    World’s fastest growing economy Ethiopia is new flavour of the month for Africa watchers
    World’s fastest growing economy Ethiopia is new flavour of the month for Africa watchers

Its new rail road that connects it directly to a port in Djibouti.
    http://www.thecoli.com/threads/chinese-built-ethiopia-djibouti-railway-opens.469895/

And it now being predicted with its economy soon surpassing Kenya as the largest in East Africa.
    Ethiopia to overtake Kenya as Eastern Africa’s top economy
    Ethiopia to overtake Kenya as Eastern Africa’s top economy

Which are good signs despite the state of emergency.

With Kenya like Tanzania it is again in the "safe zone" and its government continuing to push for democracy and its country continuing to be stable. Tanzania however is my favorite one and eyes have been on it for the longest. My eyes use to be on Nigeria and Angola, but they have now switched to Tanzania.

Ethnic disputes in Tanzania while can be much better is vastly better than what is seen in Ethiopia, Nigeria or any other country. The country has not had no big conflicts in its history besides the Zanzibar revolution which was off the mainland. Ever since then the country has been stable which is perfect for development. But more importantly its economy continues to grow and like Ethiopia it can too surpass Kenya as largest economy of East Africa.

Tanzania set to surpass Kenya as East Africa's economic giant
    Tanzania set to surpass Kenya as East Africa's economic giant | African Independent

Not only that but Tanzania is among the fastest growing economies in the world just like with Ethiopia!

And not only that I am glad to see them diversifying their economy and according to this tweet it is helping against income inequality.

My only grip with Tanzania is that the poverty levels could be much better and that one party has dominated elections. Other than that if Tanzania continues on this right path I can see bright things in the future.

Anyways I hope that if any of these big three becomes the giant of East Africa that they can successful lead the region. I see a lot of potential in this region more so than any other region in Africa,

My biggest is that why was unstable ass South Africa allowed in the EAC and not Ethiopia??? I believe Ethiopia should join the EAC.

Anyways thoughts?

2. Diasporan Royalty

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

3. FAH1223

FAH1223 Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers! Staff Member Hall of Fame

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    WASHINGTON, DC
    Coli Cash:
    $584028.00

Ethiopia benefits from a diverse array of foreign investment. The Tigray dictatorship is a US ally, EU ally, and has brought Beijing into the fold investing in numerous infrastructure projects. The railway to Djibouti is a huge deal for a landlocked country.

[​IMG]

The Oromo protests to the land grabs by foreign companies and the government is huge deal. Same with the Amhara.

Political instability and the bureaucracy of the state may slow down growth esp for all the people starting firms.

Ethiopia has a lot riding on its new, Chinese-built railroad to the sea

Somalia needs so much :snoop: it's basically at stage 1 in terms of development and 20 years behind. It needs the roads the Chinese built in the 1970s to be rebuild. The country needs rail especially with all of the port cities. Needs sewage, pipes, a dam in the south where the two huge rivers are..

4. Grano-Grano

Grano-Grano The Bando

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Skrilla
    Coli Cash:
    $156500.00

East Africa will rise again. When Somalia really calms down with the terrorism, the Chinese-Indian trade deals. :ohlawd: Our Turkish allies already investing heavy in our capital. East Africa will spark the boom but not in the Horn at first (Ethiopia + Somalia instability), the Swahili speaking countries will spark it off. Proud of my brothers :obama:

5. Diasporan Royalty

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

I have to say that I am truly proud of you East Africans from Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania(especially), Djibouti, Uganda and hell even Somalia(they're slowly getting their shyt together). You guys are truly a model for the continent. And East Africa is more personal for me as I have East Africans(Ethiopians) in my family.

But anyways we may see East Africa go back to its greatness like with the Swahili states and Askum kingdom...:wow:

I just want to keep wishing you guys luck.

Good shyt. Hopefully once Somalia really starts to cool down then we will see more investment. Wish this could be happening for Haiti.:snoop:

6. PewPew

PewPew I came from nothing

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Earth
    Coli Cash:
    $43900.00

THANK YOU FOR THE TAG BROTHER! The East will rise again, and soon, so will all of Africa

KidStranglehold dapped this.
  7. Red Shield

Red Shield Global Domination

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    .0001%
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

I got a good feeling about Tanzania

8. Diasporan Royalty

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

You welcome.

I remember you saying that you were Tanzanian do you mind telling us yourself how the country is changing for the better? Because all the news I am getting from that country is the positives out weighing the negative.

9. Clean Cut

Clean Cut double entendre

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    central africa
    Coli Cash:
    $214299.71

Akan dapped this.
  10. Diasporan Royalty

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

Doesn't look like a "civil war" from what the article is saying. and I don't know about Botswana. Since the decline of diamond production seems to be hurting the economy.
    Botswana at 50: There are reasons to question the country's fragility
    Botswana at 50: There are reasons to question the country's fragility

Nomad1 dapped this.
  11. Red Shield

Red Shield Global Domination

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    .0001%
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

Wouldn't make any bets on Botswana.. when SA goes in the future, it's taking that country with it.

12. Poitier

Poitier My Words Law Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $1276932.00

A bit hyperbolic and premature since West Africa's fate is far from determined and in one swoop could easily surpass whats happening East. Also, its unlikely both Kenya and Tanzania will rise together since they are in direct competition. That said, Tanzania has always been lauded going back decades and Ethiopia definitely has a solid infrastructure development model even if their society is tumultuous. Mugabe's death and the potential demise of the ANC will also shift a lot in their region.

mbewane, MansaMusa and KidStranglehold dapped this.
  13. The Odum of Ala Igbo

The Odum of Ala Igbo Hail Biafra!

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The Republic of Biafra
    Coli Cash:
    $300500.00

East Africa seems good right now because most of the countries in that region escaped the global oil glut. I'll be impressed if they escape the trajectory of Africa's mineral/agro-commodity trap.

Moreover, human/civil rights matter. We'll see how Ethiopia will fare over the next year.

Elle Driver, Poitier and KidStranglehold dapped this.
  14. Diasporan Royalty

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

Yep! Like I said a domino effect is going to happen in the region. A while ago I was telling my Namibian co-worker about this and even he agreed.

Din0can dapped this.
  15. Diasporan Royalty

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

I know which is why I said either one of the three will be the giants of East Africa and will lead the region.

As for the red bolded I'm curious. :ohhh: Why do you say that?