"Emergency" Amazon Prime May 27

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
overall it's a good movie but as a brotha it's hard to watch without getting frustrated as hell like if yall dont toss this white girl in the bushes and go on about yall night like some real brothas would do :snoop:
but definitely a good flick.

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I enjoyed the script more than the film, I think it was on black list
Was the script more of a drama than comedy? I wonder if it was altered to make it more "palatable."
I dug the film but it seemed like it tried to be a little bit of a black Superbad with a dramatic twist and more social commentary.
The last 30 mins were good and a stark contrast to the first hour... I wish the whole film was like the end.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw in theaters a week or so back, I like movies like "After Hours", Martin Scorcese, 1984, or Judgement Night for a more extreme example, of kind of enjoyable big evenings turning into a nightmare.

Overall, this felt like a miss, the writing wasn't tight enough, the pacing not tight enough, the acting was solid, both performances. The messages also felt muddled and contradictory, but there was some powerful moment mixed in.

The tone should have either been funnier, or more tense, they went too middle of the road, and it ended up not being satire, and not being really dramatic enough to immerse a viewer.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked this a lot. One of those movies where characters made dumb decisions but they were believable dumb decisions lol. I get why they didn't call the cops, just highlighted the distrust Black folks have for the police especially given the optics of the situation they were in. It also clearly established the difference in upbringing between the two Black leads. I also think there was some subtle commentary regarding the African American experience vs. the Black immigrant experience.

I was shocked when I found out the screenwriter wasn't Black. Like normally I can tell when a Black film is written by a non-Black person, but there were so many subtle and authentic moments here that I was convinced a Black person wrote it. Come to find out it was a Mexican American woman. Then I thought that maybe they made changes to the script to make it more Black, but I skimmed through the script and it was basically the same as the movie.

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I liked this a lot. One of those movies where characters made dumb decisions but they were believable dumb decisions lol. I get why they didn't call the cops, just highlighted the distrust Black folks have for the police especially given the optics of the situation they were in. It also clearly established the difference in upbringing between the two Black leads. I also think there was some subtle commentary regarding the African American experience vs. the Black immigrant experience.

I was shocked when I found out the screenwriter wasn't Black. Like normally I can tell when a Black film is written by a non-Black person, but there were so many subtle and authentic moments here that I was convinced a Black person wrote it. Come to find out it was a Mexican American woman. Then I thought that maybe they made changes to the script to make it more Black, but I skimmed through the script and it was basically the same as the movie.
The director is black and she talked to him about his experiences and they added that to script to make it feel more authentic. I read that in article on indie wire.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This. But the only thing had me :mindblown: were they driving around with her, that was just so fukking stupid. They shouldn't have done that.

The classroom scene where the teacher talks about the N word, shyt was totally unnecessary and completely irrelevant. I don't see the point of this. Reminds me of Dead N!gger Storage scene from Pulp Fiction