EU ruling forces Steam to begin allowing users to resell digital PC games in France (BIG NEWS)

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
Or it will fine Steam up to $900 a day, $550k a year with escalating judgement coming after

This will kill the indie game industry

French court rules country's Steam users can resell their games

French court rules country's Steam users can resell their games
Federal Union of Consumers wins case under EU law, Valve readies for appeal
Rebekah Valentine

Staff Writer

Thursday 19th September 2019

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Recommend Tweet Share
Valve

The District Court of Paris has issued a ruling saying that French owners of digital games on Steam are permitted to resell them under EU law.

Next Inpact reports (as translated by GamesIndustry.biz sister-site Rock Paper Shotgun) that the court ruled in favor of the French consumer interest group Union fédérale des consommateurs, the Federal Union of Consumers on a number of clauses including the issue of digital resales.

The Federal Union of Consumers has been pursuing Valve for several years now over numerous issues in the Steam Subscriber Agreement. This particular ruling by the French court looks at Valve's claim that consumers do not actually purchase a digital product when they buy a game -- rather, they purchase a subscription to access and use content and services on Steam. The court's ruling classifies these sales as digital licenses rather than subscriptions, thus allowing them to be resold in the same way that physical games have been resellable.

Per the court, the prohibition against digital resales violates EU laws that maintain "the free movement of goods within the Union." All goods sold within the EU must be able to be resold without permission from the person who originally sold them.

Lead Game Designer - SUMO NOTTINGHAM

Anywhere

Sumo Digital

Art Director - SUMO SHEFFIELD

Anywhere

Sumo Digital

Executive Producer - SUMO SHEFFIELD

Anywhere

Sumo Digital

Discover more jobs in games
Additionally, the court says Steam's terms claim a number of other rights Valve does not actually have, including keeping wallet funds without reimbursement when users leave the platform, relinquishing responsibility if users incur harm using the platform, as well as certain rights regarding mod use, user-submitted content, and account termination. A total of fourteen clauses were determined to be unacceptable.

Though Valve can still appeal this ruling within the next three months, the Federal Union of Consumers intends to use it to further other legal challenges against Steam both in France as well as in other EU countries.

"We disagree with the decision of the Paris Court of First Instance and will appeal it," a Valve spokesperson said to Polygon. "The decision will have no effect on Steam while the case is on appeal

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
This could be huge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see Steam converting to a long term license rental model in the EU to get around this. $60 gets you a five year non-transferrable rental agreement with free renewals.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Idk about killing the indie games industry, but it's very pro consumer. Gabe might just have to step his game up.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Can you take Steam keys and use them on another launcher? I was always under the impression that you had to have and an Internet connection to launch the game initially. Which is why I can see them use trying to say that its a subscription based service. If this does stand after the appeal it could really hurt Steam unless they find a way to give the publishers a cut. Expect to see more Epic games exclusives in the future.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Idk about killing the indie games industry, but it's very pro consumer. Gabe might just have to step his game up.
Smaller devs will lose out on money due to resales, unless they can negotiate with Steam for a cut of resale revenue from the marketplace. I don't know if Steam can legally restrict resales to their marketplace though. G2A is rubbing their hands together. I'd also think that something like this will lead to always on DRM for everything in order to validate key transfers and prevent copying.