Favorite vs Most Played games

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I don't think time spent on a game means it was more enjoyable than a shorter game. A game can be long as hell and entertaining enough to complete it, but still not be among your favorite games.

One of my favorite games ever is super metroid, which is a pretty short game. Compare it to something like fallout 4 where I spent atleast 100 hours in and I feel like that game is mid.
I agree with you. I was referring more to replayability. If you choose a game you played for 25 hours as your favorite over a game you played for 50 hours, I wouldn't question that. Its when you are playing a game 10x more hours that it becomes a "Stop the Cap" moment. There was a ton of content in Elden Ring, but we see a ton of folks online raking up hours just replaying the same boss fights with different builds. That's not due to filler by the developer. There use to be a time in gaming when replayability was a major factor in game review scores.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I agree with you. I was referring more to replayability. If you choose a game you played for 25 hours as your favorite over a game you played for 50 hours, I wouldn't question that. Its when you are playing a game 10x more hours that it becomes a "Stop the Cap" moment. There was a ton of content in Elden Ring, but we see a ton of folks online raking up hours just replaying the same boss fights with different builds. That's not due to filler by the developer. There use to be a time in gaming when replayability was a major factor in game review scores.
I've always leaned on the stance that shorter games by default are usually more replayable. I must've beaten Streets of Rage 2 and 4 50 times over, start to finish. It helps since they're only like two hours long, at max, from front to back.

Games just need levels of variance to make them replayable. Whether that be by extra difficulties, divergent paths, extra endings or secret mid-game cut scenes, fully fleshed out different playable characters, different character interactions, new/secret modes/enemies, etc.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I've always leaned on the stance that shorter games by default are usually more replayable. I must've beaten Streets of Rage 2 and 4 50 things over. It helps since they're only like two hours long, at max, from front to back.

Games just need levels of variance to make them replayable. Whether that be by extra difficulties, divergent paths, extra endings or secret mid-game cut scenes, fully fleshed out different playable characters, different character interactions, new/secret modes/enemies, etc.

Sometimes you just wanna play a game and move on with your life.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

Replayability means nothing to this new generation of adhd gamers.

I just look at it like this, I can spend 100 hours playing an asscreed game and it will never equal up to the 16 hours I spent playing resident evil 2 or 7.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
there's some games I always go back to, like Super Metroid and FEAR, but they're not long games. so my time in them, through multiple playthroughs over multiple years, doesn't add up to the time I might spend in a longer game

Flexington

All Star
Daps
I don't know what my favorite game is

I do replay a few games here and there. For some reason I'm still playing busted ass Chivalry 2. I think for the same reasons people play other online games/shooters, can play for a quick moment and don't need to worry about progress.

Used to mess with Rocket League a lot too

Return to Sifu every now and then