Florida is now the least affordable state : Picard:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
The problem is Florida has no real industry outside of tourism and real estate to counter the appeal to live here shifting the supply/demand greatly in a very short time due to the pandemic. Blaming DeSantis seems like more of an attempt to find a scapegoat than anything else.
what is desantis (and the 3 decades plus of solid republican rule ... no policies they want to put in place can be stopped by democrats or even a moderate republican) doing to help develop any industry outside of tourism and real estate? have they invested greatly in higher education?

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
what is desantis (and the 3 decades plus of solid republican rule ... no policies they want to put in place can be stopped by democrats or even a moderate republican) doing to help develop any industry outside of tourism and real estate? have they invested greatly in higher education?

We're big into agriculture as well. I know Miami is trying to become a "Tech Hub". But yeah...Tourism is the money maker. That's really the only reason Republicans here have a decent environmental record.

But I will say, there has been investments in education here in the last 20+ years.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
no they haven't. florida state and local govts spend the least per capita on higher education in the entire united states. and to show how bad florida's state govt is
Overall, 86 percent of higher education direct spending occurred at the state level in 2019. In 22 states, 100 percent of higher education spending occurred at the state level. In 2019, California, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, and Wyoming were the only states where local direct spending on higher education accounted for 25 percent or more of the state's combined higher education expenditures.

so as a state (state and local combined) florida is already pathetic by being last, but they double down by putting a bigger burden on the local govts.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
Yeah read an article on this recently, everywhere is getting expensive