Footage early 1900s ADOS owned oil well in Oklahoma community

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…

I’ve brought it up a few times in here but the person I work for is doing a documentary film which chronicles this history. I remember him telling me a story just like this about a family that had their oil well taken.

The history of resistance and perseverance is rarely touched on in favor of more negative images.

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
I’ve brought it up a few times in here but the person I work for is doing a documentary film which chronicles this history. I remember him telling me a story just like this about a family that had their oil well taken.

The history of resistance and perseverance is rarely touched on in favor of more negative images.
My mom was just telling my about the story that got their well taken last night. I have to look it up.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
hmmm...I wonder if it belonged to this guy that I posted in another thread

fOLPbhk.jpg

Forest Anderson

Forest Anderson was born in 1874 in Shelby, North Carolina. He became self-sufficient at an early age and made his way to Oklahoma in 1907. He settled near Earlsboro and began sharecropping, and later ended up purchasing the land where he sharecropped. Later, oil was discovered on the land. During school segregation, he built a school for the black children in rural Seminole County. After the bank in the All-Black town of Boley was shut down due to a failed robbery attempt in 1932 by Pretty Boy Floyd's gang, he bought the bank and paid off all of the depositors. In 1949 Ebony magazine listed him as one of the "Ten Richest Negros in America" with a worth of about $2 million. He owned more than 6,600 acres of land when he died in 1952.

He was born in 1874 in Shelby, North Carolina as the son of a former slave. He become self-sufficient at the early age of 7 by working as a water boy for the railroad. He made his way to the State of Oklahoma in the early 1900’s, where he settled in as a share cropper outside the town of Earlsboro.

He was a very successful farmer, and after many years of saving his earnings from farming, he had the opportunity to purchase the land on which he was leasing. A few years later, oil was discovered on the land.

48545ba0027d34e7101b51564c53be16_original.BMP

Oil Well, Earlsboro, Oklahoma
He was an astute businessman and owned the mineral rights to his new land purchase. He used the money that he earned from his oil and gas royalties to purchase additional mineral rights and eventually owned more than 6600 acres of land by the time of his death.

He built a school for the black and native children because they could not go to school with the white children. He owned a Ford dealership, a cotton gin, a grist mill, and several buildings. It was rumored that he was also financing a moonshine operation.

aac053c63bf7478fa6279aa62e1c6cd9_original.jpg

Farmers State Bank, Boley, Oklahoma
After the bank in the all-black town of Boley, Oklahoma was shut down due to a failed robbery attempt in 1932 by Pretty Boy Floyd’s gang, he bought the bank and paid off all of the depositors. Ebony Magazine listed him as one of top 10 black millionaires in the United States in April 1949.

f90e62931e9f379d7fcc8cd03c6ef2ca_original.jpg

Ebony Magazine, April 1949