Former Ghana president Jerry Rawlings Dies

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ghana's former president Jerry Rawlings dies - CNN

Accra(CNN)Jerry Rawlings, who seized control of Ghana twice in military coups before becoming the country's democratically-elected president, has died at the age of 73, his party said in a statement Thursday.

Rawlings' takeovers in 1979 and 1981 were marked by authoritarian rule and the executions of senior military officers, including General Frederick Akuffo, whom he overthrew in the first coup.

But Rawlings went on to oversee Ghana's transition to multi-party democracy, winning election in 1992 and 1996 before stepping down in 2001.

"A great tree has fallen, and Ghana is poorer for this loss," said the current president, Nana Akufo-Addo, in a statement.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
REV JESSE JACKSON LAMENTS THE PASSING OF GHANA’S FORMER PRESIDENT JERRY JOHN RAWLINGS
By Sentinel News Service
Published November 19, 2020
print.png

Jerry John Rawlings (Courtesy Photo)

It is with profound sadness and shock to learn about the passing of my dear friend and brother, H.E. Jerry John Rawlings, former President of Ghana. I had the opportunity to work with brother Rawlings during his presidency while I was the U.S. Special Envoy for Africa and he played a vital role in restoring peace in West Africa especially during the Minor River crisis (Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone).

He was a great Pan-Africanist and always expressed his desire for a developed and united Africa. He was a man of his word, great conviction, and courageous. He gave his best to Ghana and Africa in various capacities. He was brave, beloved, and a proud son of Ghana and Africa; a global leader who was admired and will be missed.

During this sad and difficult moment in the lives of the family and friends of brother Rawlings, we most always remember that God is our refuge and strength.

I join leaders from across the globe and the beloved people of Ghana in mourning the loss of its beloved son. May his soul, Rest In Perfect Peace