GAAS In Trouble? (Halo Infinite Flops, Rumbleverse/Apex Mobile Now Also Closing Down)

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there's been more changes and growth in d2's life than the entire borderlands series tbh

GaaS that evolve with their community and those that don't have a different path fr

Yeah, all this "the sky is falling" talk about GaaS games is really a case of people online/talking heads being just about as dumb as developers and publishers are being about these types of games.

So many people look at the success of Destiny, and really just take the ongoing game aspect of it, and try to either apply those terms of success to other games, or copy the idea that it's a game that could go on for as long as they want, and forget the most important thing: Destiny continually finds a way to give current and lapsed players a reason to come back. Them giving out a little bit of the ongoing story over a few weeks when a season starts every three months or so is enough to keep a lot of people playing, and even lapsed players like me at least interested enough to keep an eye on what's going on, and occasionally log in. And Bungie has made it abundantly clear that keeping that pace up is pretty grueling. They're essentially cranking out the equivalent of a Call of Duty campaign yearly, while adding an extra few missions every three months, without the plethora of support studios it usually takes to make those games.

For Honor has had a pretty steady stream of new characters they release, which by definition of being a fighting game, means the way everyone plays gets shaken up from time to time, bringing them back.

Most of these other games just aren't doing that. They're giving you flawed to mediocre gameplay in a lot of cases, and the only thing compelling you to keep playing is a battle pass with cosmetics to unlock. That shyt is only going to work but so long. Of all these closures, the only dev team that seemed to be brutally honest was the one for Knockout City, when they flat out said that supporting the game was more than they can handle.

Once developers and publishers stop seeing the GaaS model as a way to essentially develop once, and generate revenue indefinitely, then we'll stop seeing game shut down so quickly.

People actually have been talking about big single player new IP’s flopping lately. Gotham Knights, Mario & Rabbids, Callisto Protocol, Forspoken, Midnight Suns, etc. you just haven’t been paying attention.

That tweet is fukking stupid, breh.

To sum it up harshly, the market only has so many dollars/euros/pounds/etc in it, and games aren't entitled to be successful.

No one was asking Gearbox for a Tiny Tina game, breh. If they were going to do it, the game was after the Tiny Tina expansion for Borderlands 2 came out. In two thousand fukking thirteen.

WB was dumb enough to make a Batman Game without Batman in it that that was CLEARLY supposed to be a Destiny style game at some point, stripped a lot of those love elements out of it, and forced it out because they had already sunken development time and money into it. Didn't help that the game just isn't that good.

Firaxis had access to seemingly every Marvel IP they could want, and decided that that was the right time to say "Nah, XCOM gameplay isn't niche enough, let's kick it up a notch," and made that shyt a card based tactical RPG. Decision making like that is something you'd see out of a movie making fun of the entertainment industry.

The less said about Saints Row the better.

The games from that tweet and your post either flat out failed or underperformed because they either weren't all that good, mismanaged promotion and expectations (looking right at Callisto Protocol), or were trying to get a win out of something people weren't really asking for. It is what it is.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m not celebrating anything. I put more time into destiny and path of exile than any other games I play.

I’m saying I’d rather most of these games have an offline component so when the game falls off I can still play them somehow.
The thing is most of these games as a service even if it is single player single it's built around the service part of games as a service.

Of all those games listed maybe a handful of competitive players want the game so they can play it offline with friends are in a group setting.

But most people don't care, And the ones that really want to play a single player will get those games cracked.

A lot of Sony stans and just people on the internet want to pretend like oh 15 years down the line I won't be able to play this or other people won't be able to experience it....

While they play their favorite mobile game that probably only has a year, year and a half life expectancy that they spent hundreds of dollars for rare gear.

,No one is worried about people in 15 years not getting the experience of pokemon go, or genshin impact, or among us or Babylon falls.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The thing is most of these games as a service even if it is single player single it's built around the service part of games as a service.

Of all those games listed maybe a handful of competitive players want the game so they can play it offline with friends are in a group setting.

But most people don't care, And the ones that really want to play a single player will get those games cracked.

A lot of Sony stans and just people on the internet want to pretend like oh 15 years down the line I won't be able to play this or other people won't be able to experience it....

While they play their favorite mobile game that probably only has a year, year and a half life expectancy that they spent hundreds of dollars for rare gear.

,No one is worried about people in 15 years not getting the experience of pokemon go, or genshin impact, or among us or Babylon falls.
I’m not a fan of mobile gaming for that reason. This isn’t a Stan thing for me. I’m about game preservation. Be it emulation or physical copies.

It’s becoming more of a problem when these games shut down within a year or two after release. Not 15 years or whatever

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The games from that tweet and your post either flat out failed or underperformed because they either weren't all that good, mismanaged promotion and expectations (looking right at Callisto Protocol), or were trying to get a win out of something people weren't really asking for. It is what it is.

Most of those games reviewed well though so im not understanding that logic

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most of those games reviewed well though so im not understanding that logic

Stop reading after one comma, brehs. :wow:

A game reviewing well isn't an automatic pass to good or great sales. A good game that wasn't what a large audience wanted is still a game that wasn't what a large audience wanted.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Stop reading after one comma, brehs. :wow:

A game reviewing well isn't an automatic pass to good or great sales. A good game that wasn't what a large audience wanted is still a game that wasn't what a large audience wanted.

So everyone should just give up and make war shooters and sports games

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So everyone should just give up and make war shooters and sports games

Not what I'm saying at all. Developers and publishers should definitely still take chances, but we shouldn't be acting like there's some giant underlying issue when some of these games fail.

shyt, even then, most of those games mentioned weren't truly original anyway. Almost all of them were either remakes, sequels, usage of previously established IP, or a spiritual remake of a previous IP.

Either way, the games still need to be good and/or appealing. Breh, no one's ideal game is a card based RPG for Marvel characters.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Not what I'm saying at all. Developers and publishers should definitely still take chances, but we shouldn't be acting like there's some giant underlying issue when some of these games fail.

shyt, even then, most of those games mentioned weren't truly original anyway. Almost all of them were either remakes, sequels, usage of previously established IP, or a spiritual remake of a previous IP.

Either way, the games still need to be good and/or appealing. Breh, no one's ideal game is a card based RPG for Marvel characters.

So whats a good game, mario rabbids and midnight suns got 8‘S and 9’s across the board