‘Gangs Of New York’ TV Series In Works At Miramax With Writer Brett Leonard; Martin Scorsese To Direct

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
‘Gangs Of New York’ TV Series In Works At Miramax With Writer Brett Leonard; Martin Scorsese To Direct

EXCLUSIVE: A high-profile TV series project from Miramax Television based on Herbert Asbury’s 1927 non-fiction book The Gangs of New York is about to hit the premium/streaming marketplace. Oscar winner Martin Scorsese, who directed the 2002 feature adaptation of the book, is attached to executive produce the potential series and direct the first two episodes.

Details about the drama, from playwright/TV writer Brett Leonard (Shantaram), are sketchy but I hear this is a new take on the story with new characters that were not featured in the movie, which starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis and Cameron Diaz.

I hear Scorsese responded to Leonard’s script, which had been developed internally at Miramax TV, and came on board as an executive producer and director. Also executive producing the series are Leonard and Scorsese’s managers Rick Yorn and Chris Donnelly. The project will be taken out to buyers later this month.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Interesting. Sounds like it might be a potentially better peaky blinders or something (which I've never seen but I know about it).