Google Investing in Machinima

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/7/3004414/google-invests-in-machinima

According to a new report from All Things D, Google is getting set to invest in Machinima, which racks up more than a billion views each month of its gaming videos and series. This is a different kind of investment than the hundreds of millions Google has been handing out to create YouTube channels. With this investment, Google is getting equity in Machinima, betting on the long term future of web TV and taking a stake in one of that market's big stars. It's a move that parallels the way traditional TV companies like NBC invested in cable channels or web plays like Bravo, A&E and Hulu.

The aim with YouTube channels is to have more high-end series to advertise against and to showcase on connected televisions. YouTube has backed everything from gaming to health to comedy to sports, including our sister site, SB Nation. But the YouTube Channel money is a loan, with the partners getting to keep a cut of their ad revenue after they pay back whatever money they took from Youtube upfront.

Machinima is already a massive player, with 154 million unique visitors and 1.52 billion views this past March. It doesn't need any help on YouTube. Having Google as an investor and ally in the larger web TV wars, however, is a offer few companies would refuse.

Google investing in web TV, prepping for the future. Cable TV always going to have the upper hand against Web TV due to the sports factor though.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:usure: with the success of mlb.tv I feel the other leagues will start looking into delivering their content independently of the networks too.

Too many restrictions.

They blackout local games and nationally televised games though. How gay is that shyt? I would have gladly signed up for NBA League Pass had it not been for that shyt. That's the only thing holding web TV back IMHO.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Too many restrictions.

They blackout local games and nationally televised games though. How gay is that shyt? I would have gladly signed up for NBA League Pass had it not been for that shyt. That's the only thing holding web TV back IMHO.

There's always ways around it. Maybe pay for a VPN?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
There's always ways around it. Maybe pay for a VPN?
I've read about some alternatives to get around it. But it's a bit much just to get the shyt to work. I read that the mobile app even uses the GPS to verify where you're at.

:smh: