Hit-Boy Explains Why Nas' 'King's Disease 3' Has No Features

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
hit-boy-explains-nas-kings-disease-3-no-features-1200x675.png

"Nas and Hit-Boy’s King’s Disease series was a star-studded affair across its first two installments, with guest appearances from Hip Hop heavyweights like Eminem, Lauryn Hill and Big Sean. But on King’s Disease 3, which arrived last week, the Queensbridge MC occupied the spotlight on his own.

During a recent interview with Apple Music’s Rap Life Review, Hit-Boy explained the reason behind the lack of features on the album. The multi-platinum producer revealed he had numerous artists in mind for the project and actually tested out various guest vocals that he had stored in his stash, but ultimately he and Nas didn’t feel they were on par with what they were crafting as a two-man team.

“Honestly, it was once we got deeper into the album because I definitely was thinking and conceptualizing on who could be a part of it,” he said. “I even pulled up some features that I had in my computer from different artists and we tried stuff, but nothing really connected on a level of what we was doing solo. This is, I believe, Nas’ first album ever with no features so that’s an ill thing in itself.”

Nas has technically released an album with no features in the past — his 2002 compilation The Lost Tapes — but when it comes to his official studio output, his 1994 debut Illmatic is the closest he’s come, with AZ delivering the sole guest verse on the album.

He later bragged about the fact on his 2001 track “Got Ur Self a Gun,” rapping: “My first album had no famous guest appearances / The outcome: I’m crowned the best lyricist.”

King’s Disease 3 wasn’t a completely solo affair, though, as Hit-Boy’s two-year-old son recorded background vocals for a handful of songs including “Once a Man, Twice a Child.”

Nas isn’t the only prominent rapper to ride solo on an album in recent years. J. Cole famously went “platinum with no features” with 2014’s 2014 Forest Hills Drive, 2016’s 4 Your Eyez Only and 2018’s 4 Your Eyez Only, before embracing his collaborative side on the Dreamville compilation Revenge of the Dreamers III and his 2021 solo effort The Off-Season.

21 Savage, who has come under fire this week for his comments about Nas’ cultural relevancy during a Clubhouse call, also recently bragged about selling a million units solo dolo on his 2017 LP Issa Album."

Hit-Boy Explains Why Nas' 'King's Disease 3' Has No Features

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't even know that was a thing... having verses around to copy paste :yeshrug:

Thought at least the artists heard a beat and had some idea of a song concept before mailing a feature but I guess...

Maybe that's why em was rapping about reindeers on kd2 it was just a verse hitboy had in the stash and well the rest is HISTORY :troll:

Family Man

Superstar
Daps
Didn't even know that was a thing... having verses around to copy paste :yeshrug:

Thought at least the artists heard a beat and had some idea of a song concept before mailing a feature but I guess...

Maybe that's why em was rapping about reindeers on kd2 it was just a verse hitboy had in the stash and well the rest is HISTORY :troll:
No wonder that album sounds like complete shyt. Beats we're boring and lackluster as hell. Bro put out an album of lullabies. Audio NyQuil.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

He's a producer that works with a lot of artists so he still has access to recorded vocals. He was just testing how other people would sound to see if they should pursue features. like he wasn't gonna keep those vocals on songs but if they worked call the actual artist to record.

It's not what people are taking from it. He's not talking about trying to use precut verses for features. Just testing fit and contrast for song before the actual request.