HOW ‘LIBERAL’ LATE-NIGHT TALK SHOWS BECAME A COMEDY SINKHOLE

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Not sure if this is a Film Room or HL topic, but I think it could pop here. It's a long ass read. I'm only posting the first part:

How 'Liberal' Late-Night Talk Shows Became a Comedy Sinkhole - MEL Magazine

‘Every single person in late night knows it’s a dumb factory of lazy ideas,’ one fed-up writer tells us. ‘I will never be happy with anything I make.’

In 2005, I attended the taping of what turned out to be a landmark episode of The Daily Show. The front half was the usual skewering of that day’s news, nothing too memorable — but the guest was the infamous Christopher Hitchens, a prickly proponent of the Iraq War, something the audience and host Jon Stewart regarded as a colossal mistake. While the two men on stage began their conversation with the obligatory chumminess of the late-night TV interview, it was bound to become a fierce debate on Iraq, and that’s exactly what happened: For around 20 minutes, Stewart challenged Hitchens’ excuses for a disastrous invasion, and Hitchens punched back, impressively enough that he could at one point observe the crowd had gone quiet.

It was an electrifying encounter — one of the early examples of the breathless “so-and-so DESTROYS political opponent” fare that has choked the internet in years since. When Hitchens left, Stewart more or less apologized for the intensity of their debate, joking that the production team would have a great time trying to edit it down into a coherent segment. In truth, it wasn’t that common for him to go on the offensive, and anyone in that room intuitively understood why: It may have been cathartic, and even enlightening, but it wasn’t very funny.

Talented as Stewart was (or is) at sneaking punchlines into a thorny discussion of geopolitics, those moments found him resisting a deep well of gravity created by bloody, corrupt and spiraling American empire. When you slice right into that issue, it will never be a laughing matter. The brutal reality of lives destroyed and a region in chaos cannot be domesticated for your living room.

Understandably burnt out and ready to pass the torch, Stewart left The Daily Show in 2015 and has largely kept to himself in the Trump era. This makes the demarcation between the remarkable run of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report during the Bush and Obama presidencies and the current ecosystem of late-night talk shows especially crisp. In fact, Stewart’s career tells the story of what I regard as the three phases of political consciousness within the format. He took the reins of the show in 1999, right as the comedy hacks finally ran out of bad Monica Lewinsky jokes. From there, he (and soon Stephen Colbert) walked the tightrope of cogent, biting political satire, incidentally gifting mainstream network shows with freedom to ignore or address Washington at will.

Then Colbert transitioned to that platform (theoretically leaving his political commentary behind), Stewart bounced, Trump took power in a shock election, and we entered a third act for TV writers expected to cull humor from the state of government and its leaders. Remember, the late-night model wasn’t really built for this: Johnny Carson, though a progressive, explicitly avoided such topics and guests of that orbit; David Letterman wrapped his opinions in a hundred layers of irony; Jay Leno remained safely noncommittal and recently complained that today’s hosts are one-sided, begging for a return to every centrist’s favorite value: “civility.” But while it’s easy as ever to hit Leno as the epitome of uncool and brush off his asinine prescription (rudeness is hardly a hindrance to good comedy), the diagnosis from which he proceeds is inescapably true:

These shows are fukking unwatchable.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I've stopped watching late night talk shows since Trump took office. Not because I'm a Trump fan (which I'm not) but they basically hit a dead horse until it was a bloody, gooey pulp. I'm sure there has been days where Trump has said or done nothing and Stephen Colbert (who I never found funny to begin with) would still make a joke about him somehow or someway because I genuinely think that he's obsessed with the man. Then Jimmy Kimmel jumped on the bandwagon too.

If there's anyone I find remotely funny nowadays then it's John Oliver. He can actually make some good and funny points.

I miss Jon Stewart though. I read his explanation on why he decided to quit but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :francis:

Last edited:
Daps
I think for the most part they've given up on the traditional late night aspect and focused on devoting their monologues to being a "Check on Trump"

Reminds me of this

Daily show has its highs and lows and Colbert is MSNBC in the form of a comedian

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
I've stopped watching late night talk shows since Trump took office. Not because I'm a Trump fan (which I'm not) but they basically hit a dead horse until it was a bloody, gooey pulp. I'm sure there has been days where Trump has said or done nothing and Stephen Colbert (who I never found funny to begin with) would still make a joke about him somehow or someway because I genuinely think that he's obsessed with the man. Then Jimmy Kimmel jumped on the bandwagon too.

If there's anyone I find remotely funny nowadays then it's John Oliver. He can actually make some good and funny points.

I miss Jon Stewart though. I read his explanation on why he decided to quit but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :francis:

My problem as well. Also you would think they would be humbled by laughing all the way thru the election only to have him win, but instead they've doubled down on it. Maybe if these fakkits wouldn't have proclaimed his candidacy a joke more of their viewers would have gone out and voted :scust:

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
Liberal or not, I never fukked with any of these late night shows...

Between the lazy attempts at humor that the hosts try to make seem clever, audiences being told when to laugh and drumrolls, nah not for me. :hubie:

Honestly the first show like this I watched was desus & mero when it was on vice cause they were two dudes just saying real shyt and refreshingly from the prospective of someone other than a famous, white guy. I could relate to them and they were legit funny to me.

I can't relate to these network hosts, they are just like the television programming that resides in their network: skewed, wanna-be edgy, recycled material pedalled to the masses without an ounce of originality or creativity.

|r|e|a|d|

Hail!!
Daps
Reppin
PJ's to the Burbs
Late nite talk shows b4 Arsenio :camby:

Late night after Arsenio :camby:

Only check when a guest i genuinely f' with is on, but he article is on point

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I haven't ever watched late night, but I saw this trend, and have grown gradually more repulsed by it, each year into the new administration. Some of the jokes hit, here and there, but I would never watch Colbert, and rarely the Daily Show, though I like it the best. Partly is that rarely is any of this actually funny, and to take things so outrageous and also so real and dangerous, heartbreaking, and convert it into soundbites is pretty sick. I 100% understood what the writer was talking about when he referenced the Mueller as a father figure part, as I have seen that online, and in real life, though much less so, because no one really cares in San Diego.

The softball jokes are essentially the complacent way to signal you are anti Trump, while not actually wanting to change much. My Dad and his friends like those jokes, and I hear them throwing them around, but they are all essentially the kinds of people who call for civility, and Joe Biden.

It's all depressing.