How good was Aaron Pryor in his prime?

DonDadda

All Star
Daps
I've seen people say his style would have gave Leonard fits and he beat Hearns in the amatuers.

But his biggest win against Arguello was tainted with the water bottle incident.

Do you have him in the same league as the fantastic four?

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Never understood why he didn’t go above 140 .. he love to move forward never backed down

he had to hit jr welterweight to get decent fights ppl avoided him ..

Shocked he never got a title shot or anything

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
That man was relentless. Arguello was considered one of the best p4p at the time and he got starched….with that said, cocaine is a helluva drug
:francis:

Arguello was far from starched in the first fight. I believe he would have won if it wasn't for that "Mixed Bottle"

That tainted bottle was straight up cheating by Panama Lewis (Pryor's Trainer)

Alexis wasn't the same guy in the rematch

Crazy how fights went 15 rounds in them days

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Excellent 140 lb fighter in his prime, but a short peak due to drugs and also probably his whirlwind style. He had a very herky jerky style, and relentless energy. His stamina was among the best I’ve seen, as he not only had a great workrate, but he just seemed to always be in perpetual motion.

There’s a couple of old SI articles you can read about him at the times. He had a crazy life.

The Champion Of Confusion

KO'd By His Demons

The whole thing about the big name WWs avoiding him gets overblown, probably due to that HBO doc in the early 00s. Anyone can call someone out in an interview or press conference, we all know that fights are really made at the negotiating table. Pryor declined a fight with Leonard for half a million because he wanted more money, and fought Lennox Blackmore instead. On one hand you can say it was a lowball offer, but Pryor had made about 1/10th of that for beating a great aged champ in Cervantes, and he wasn’t an established draw or name, he had just won the title. Ray was a diva, he started off with the same half million offer for Duran in Montreal, and Duran had been champ since 72’ and was very popular.

A fight with Duran was also in the works, but Pryor had a bunch of managerial issues that messed it up. Pryor’s manager got arrested for embezzlement.

Pryor also got shot by his wife in a domestic dispute in the middle of his prime.

He was more avoided at 135, he was highly ranked by The Ring in the early 80s at both 135 and 140, and won his title at 140. I assume he could have got back down to 135 if he needed to. I really doubt the management of lightweight champions like Sean O’ Grady or Ray Mancini would have let their guys anywhere near Pryor