How strict are yall with rep ranges

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Just wondering

I'm starting a chest/back/legs+shoulder type split (3 days, then rest, then repeat)

Obviously you gotta do a lot, I think they recommend hundreds

For me at least:

Rep ranges = how many reps per set I'm doing. This number is either fixed, a small range, or an AMRAP.

Volume = how many reps per workout session I'm doing. (# of exercises × sets × reps.)

Volume can be low or high, depending on what your goals are and how your split is constructed.

Daily squatting? I'm not breaking 100 working reps on the barbell lifts; with accessories I might break 150. On PPL or a split like yours? Prolly hitting 3 to 500 reps easily per session.
:manny:

Also remember that volume has an adaptation curve to it too, just like heavy weight (intensity) and frequency.

Since my workouts since August have focused almost entirely on sets of 1, I know my rep endurance has fallen off a cliff. A working set of 5 on bench is gonna feel like 15 when I switch.
:huhldup:

Make of all this what you will. :hubie:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
For me at least:

Rep ranges = how many reps per set I'm doing. This number is either fixed, a small range, or an AMRAP.

Volume = how many reps per workout session I'm doing. (# of exercises × sets × reps.)

Volume can be low or high, depending on what your goals are and how your split is constructed.

Daily squatting? I'm not breaking 100 working reps on the barbell lifts; with accessories I might break 150. On PPL or a split like yours? Prolly hitting 3 to 500 reps easily per session.
:manny:

Also remember that volume has an adaptation curve to it too, just like heavy weight (intensity) and frequency.

Since my workouts since August have focused almost entirely on sets of 1, I know my rep endurance has fallen off a cliff. A working set of 5 on bench is gonna feel like 15 when I switch.
:huhldup:

Make of all this what you will. :hubie:
500 :damn:

So it seems like I need to up my shyt even more :patrice:

I was only doing 240 reps total per week for each major group (chest, back, legs), gues it ain't enough

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
500 :damn:

So it seems like I need to up my shyt even more :patrice:

I was only doing 240 reps total per week for each major group (chest, back, legs), guess it ain't enough

Never said that. :whoa:

Everyone's level of effective volume, among the other types, will be different.

4-500 reps a session, session, what have you, will run some folks down. Some BBers do even more than that. You will simply have to experiment to find what works for you.

240 is low *for me*; I do more than that with just T1/T2 barbell lifts alone.

Time is also an issue. The more free time you have the more volume you can throw in; as long as you can recover from it, it won't hurt your progress even in the minimum threshold for growth was passed a long time ago.

Good luck. :youngsabo:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Never said that. :whoa:

Everyone's level of effective volume, among the other types, will be different.

4-500 reps a session, session, what have you, will run some folks down. Some BBers do even more than that. You will simply have to experiment to find what works for you.

240 is low *for me*; I do more than that with just T1/T2 barbell lifts alone.

Time is also an issue. The more free time you have the more volume you can throw in; as long as you can recover from it, it won't hurt your progress even in the minimum threshold for growth was passed a long time ago.

Good luck. :youngsabo:
Thanks. I also gotta improve my sleep too