"I don't borrow money to invest" Dave Ramsey

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Basically Dave ask the guy would you take out a mortgage on a paid off home to invest the borrowed money. He easily says no but would consider taking the money he currently has that could pay off his mortgage to invest it while keeping the mortgage.

I see people all the time talk about taking out car loans and investing the money they would have bought the car with. Aren't investments supposed to be from disposable income? That's how I always saw it. You take money you can afford to lose and invest it rather than using loans to live outside your means and enable you to invest money that really would have been spend elsewhere.

Amused Mastery

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
As a general rule, it's good to only invest with disposable income. There are dudes like Kiyosaki that will talk about borrowing money from the bank to buy rental properties, but that's a special case.

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Dave's absolutely right here. Of course the caller's financial planner wants him to invest that money since he will get a percentage. If the guy has cash left over after he pays off his mortgage, then he can go invest.

I like Dave but don't listen to his investment advice, his advice about investing itself is good, but not what funds he wants you to pick.

KING WILL

Superstar
Daps
IMO, the thing about only investing disposable income is that the avg person doesn't have a lot of DI to REALLY make investing worthwhile.

If you wanted to start a business and had a really good business plan, but not the funds, you would borrow money right?

IMO there isn't much of a difference between that, and borrowing money to invest into a business thats already established and up and running.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IMO, the thing about only investing disposable income is that the avg person doesn't have a lot of DI to REALLY make investing worthwhile.

If you wanted to start a business and had a really good business plan, but not the funds, you would borrow money right?

IMO there isn't much of a difference between that, and borrowing money to invest into a business thats already established and up and running.
Only a fool borrows money to start a business though. You’re better off just building it from the ground up.