I have ZERO clue on what to do next!! (Career in IT)

Nuke Dukem

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
Windy City
I need to something better to do in my life..

Right now I’m working at a distribution center, only positives

- profit sharing/401k

- good insurance

- weekends off

It’s not cutting pay wise though...

Years back I started going to school for my associates in general studies degrees, you know when I could decide what I actually want to do..

Well shyt I started working and here I am now.. I’m about 3 classes away from that degree..I have math I need to catch up on, but if my math was up to par it’d be about 3-4 classes

Now what I was thinking was going into cyber security, but I have no clue where to start..

I hear conflicting paths all the time...

- some people I talked with on here said to focus on some basic comptia+ certs & I’ll be able to find decent work like that..

- others said that the certs won’t get me the work I’m looking for

- the head of the local community college said my best bet would be to look up what jobs are requiring from potential employees and go from there

My thing though though is I can’t afford to go part time to get a full degree

I also don’t want to waste money on classes that won’t really mean shyt (they’re like 600+ for one tech class)

So what’s the best bet for a job in cyber security or anything in IT

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I need to something better to do in my life..

Right now I’m working at a distribution center, only positives

- profit sharing/401k

- good insurance

- weekends off

It’s not cutting pay wise though...

Years back I started going to school for my associates in general studies degrees, you know when I could decide what I actually want to do..

Well shyt I started working and here I am now.. I’m about 3 classes away from that degree..I have math I need to catch up on, but if my math was up to par it’d be about 3-4 classes

Now what I was thinking was going into cyber security, but I have no clue where to start..

I hear conflicting paths all the time...

- some people I talked with on here said to focus on some basic comptia+ certs & I’ll be able to find decent work like that..

- others said that the certs won’t get me the work I’m looking for

- the head of the local community college said my best bet would be to look up what jobs are requiring from potential employees and go from there

My thing though though is I can’t afford to go part time to get a full degree

I also don’t want to waste money on classes that won’t really mean shyt (they’re like 600+ for one tech class)

So what’s the best bet for a job in cyber security or anything in IT

this is how it goes, Repair tech or Help desk > desktop support > IT support admin > sys adim > network admin > cyber security

If you are AA and depends of who you know, how smart or where you live you may stoll around the desktop support area .

Just like other bro said you not getting into cyber security with with a B.A or the things I named.

Nuke Dukem

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
Windy City
How good are you with computers? I don't know anyone who started in IT Security without prior IT experience or a Bachelors Degree.

this is how it goes, Repair tech or Help desk > desktop support > IT support admin > sys adim > network admin > cyber security

If you are AA and depends of who you know, how smart or where you live you may stoll around the desktop support area .

Just like other bro said you not getting into cyber security with with a B.A or the things I named.

So I spoke with a school out here and the head of the IT section at one said I should do

CNT 101 which is a networking fundamental class and follow that up with CNT 102 Router protocols & concepts

Does that seem like the right first class

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
So I spoke with a school out here and the head of the IT section at one said I should do

CNT 101 which is a networking fundamental class and follow that up with CNT 102 Router protocols & concepts

Does that seem like the right first class

If you have no background in computers, I would start with getting a A+ or taking a basic IT class , that class seems like the focus is on CCNA/Networking

Do know what a SSD, am3 socket, SAN, PCI, Active directory, GPO, is ? ....... if no start with A+ cert bro

FREE

Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and
220-902 A+ Training Course

Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Training Course | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

Nuke Dukem

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
Windy City
If you have no background in computers, I would start with getting a A+ or taking a basic IT class , that class seems like the focus is on CCNA/Networking

Do know what a SSD, am3 socket, SAN, PCI, Active directory, GPO, is ? ....... if no start with A+ cert bro

FREE

Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and
220-902 A+ Training Course

Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Training Course | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses
Okay so I’ll start with a CompTia class then.. will I know what to do after that class then