I just noticed something about Wrestlemania

Sinister

Banned
Daps
I had to make another thread so similar in content to the one that I made last time but I see a disturbing almost always present pattern about Wrestlemania...they love having legends and big names well past their prime. I made a list here's the order of my list that it's in

Andre the Giant (his actually real time was the 70s)
Harley Race (was old as shyt by the time he fought Junkyard Dog)
Bob Backlund (was practically useless by the time we saw him go against Brett)
Hogan (pretty much anything after his WCW run)
Jerry Lawler (he should have wrestled at Mania like 20 years earlier)
Goldberg (didn't he have like a 13 year hiatus?)
Bret Hart (many years after the concussion, stroke, retirement etc)
AJ (damn near 40 by the time we got him)
Chris Jericho (he could still go I guess...but he's clearly past his prime)
Shawn (great but was not the wrestler he once was)
HHH
Mick Foley
Terry Funk
Ric Flair

Even the celebrities kind of suffer from this. Where was LL's career by when you last saw him at Wrestlemania? How about Shaq? Ronda Rousey?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Eh... kinda sorta...

Andre was a much bigger draw at that time, hence the money they made. He wasn't in top physical condition but popularity-wise he was second only to Hogan at the time of Mania III.

Hogan after the WCW run was 'washed' physically, true... but again, his drawing power was big with that Mania match against The Rock.

The AJ shyt is a reach... sure he's not young anymore, but he's actually been a better performer these last 5 years than he was in his 20s.

Some of the others you mentioned were def. past their prime tho (i.e. Race, Backlund, Bret at Mania 26, Goldberg, etc...)

Nothing wrong with having older stars on the show- youth doesn't always equal talent or drawing power. But in some cases, some dudes should definitely get to a point where they stay home.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i was gonna say run dmc in '89. instead of having them at the 1st 3 manias or even the 4th one.

but they were still kinda the face of hip-hop in the eyes of pop culture.

besides, that performance is classic.:dj2:

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
It's just embarrassing when certain types hang on...the Taker/Roman match...Cripple H should of been done after the WM 26 travesty with Sheamus...Lesnar does the bare medium even though he's clearly very strong physically...Lawler vs Cole? Wtf was that bullshyt about....

Buzzed Lightyear

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I said this in another thread, but the only time the WWE is in tune with pop culture today is when they decide who will sing "America the Beautiful" at the start of the show. :mjlol:
Outside of Keri Hilson & a few others, it's usually some "multi-platinum recording artist" that hardly anybody has ever heard of.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
i was gonna say run dmc in '89. instead of having them at the 1st 3 manias of even the 4th one.

but they were still kinda the face of hip-hop in the eyes of pop culture.

besides, that performance is classic.:dj2:

Yeah, '85 or 86 mighta been a little early...they were poppin' no doubt but rap itself was still small. The best thing they coulda done was '87, the year after Raising Hell smashed. '88 woulda been cool too, they had their own line with Adidas by then, were def. the faces of hip-hop by then... but '89 was cool still I guess. They had a pretty good '88, world tourin' nshyt... Mania was a few months before they took the big plunge and did that Ghostbusters shyt :heh: Considering Vince's outdatedness, I'm surprised he didn't try to get 'em in '91 or some shyt.

If they coulda gotten Boyz II Men to sing the Anthem in any year between '92 and '98, it'd been cool. Of course they got 'em in '99 :lolbron:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Outside of Keri Hilson & a few others, it's usually some "multi-platinum recording artist" that hardly anybody has ever heard of.

By their standards, they are at least getting artists with hits, or have a growing audience and are about to blow up. :yeshrug:

It's not like they're throwing Cyndi Lauper or Kristinia DeBarge out there. :mjlol:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yeah, '85 or 86 mighta been a little early...they were poppin' no doubt but rap itself was still small. The best thing they coulda done was '87, the year after Raising Hell smashed. '88 woulda been cool too, they had their own line with Adidas by then, were def. the faces of hip-hop by then... but '89 was cool still I guess. They had a pretty good '88, world tourin' nshyt... Mania was a few months before they took the big plunge and did that Ghostbusters shyt :heh: Considering Vince's outdatedness, I'm surprised he didn't try to get 'em in '91 or some shyt.

If they coulda gotten Boyz II Men to sing the Anthem in any year between '92 and '98, it'd been cool. Of course they got 'em in '99 :lolbron:

lol @ that ghostbusters song.

gotta give them a pass for boyz ii men in '99, since that was the only time wrestlemania was in philly.