"I Thought That Coming Here It Would Be More Black Students, But Not The Case" - White HBCU Student

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Not only are white people moving into Black neighborhoods, apparently, there are moving into Historical Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). One white student at Bethune–Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Florida, was shocked that he didn’t see more Black students.

The New York Times reports Clarence Carter III, plays baseball for Bethune-Cookman University and said, “It did catch me by surprise; I’m not going to lie. I would have thought coming to an H.B.C.U. there would be more Black people, but things aren’t always what you expect.”

This is under the context of baseball but Carter’s thoughts are what many are thinking all throughout HBCUs. According to the New York Times, Bethune-Cookman’s baseball team only has four African-Americans and the school is 79 percent African-American. Lynn Thompson, the athletic director at Bethune-Cookman since 1990, said, “We just happen to be historically Black; we’re not exclusively Black. Our job is to tell the great story of Bethune-Cookman through the lives of these great kids who wear our uniforms, wherever they come from and whatever they look like.”

“As desegregation, rising incomes and increased access to financial aid resulted in more college options for blacks, the share of blacks attending HBCUs began to shrink,” Pew found. “By fall 1980, 17% of black students enrolled in degree-granting institutions were enrolled at an HBCU. By 2000, that share had declined to 13%, and it stood at 9% in 2015.”

How unfortunate that some white students are seeing more value in HBCUs in our communities.

White HBCU Student Says He Thought ‘There Would Be More Black People’

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Unless it's a top hbcu like Morgan state, Howard, Hampton, famu, ncat then you can't really be surprised. Plus funding and tuition is looking spooky nowadays

Freedman

Choppers For Karate Nggas
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I had a homeboy that went to Southern and I'd hang around sometimes and go to class with him and like 90% of the students in the Computer Science building were of Middle Eastern descent. :gucci:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Under the ACA, otherwise known as Obamacare, native Americans who utilize pharmacies and services at reservations dont have any out of pocket responsibilities if I'm not mistaken. Seems like that should be the case with HBCUs for African Americans. Seeing that Black folks are a minority in schools designated for them is like a cruel joke.

MollyGalaga

+*++****+*+*+*=*++*.*+
Daps
Reppin
HTX
I had a homeboy that went to Southern and I'd hang around sometimes and go to class with him and like 90% of the students in the Computer Science building were of Middle Eastern descent. :gucci:
You see those buildings :usure:

Plus the computer science dept is lowkey trash, but its not just them

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Not only are white people moving into Black neighborhoods, apparently, there are moving into Historical Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). One white student at Bethune–Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Florida, was shocked that he didn’t see more Black students.

The New York Times reports Clarence Carter III, plays baseball for Bethune-Cookman University and said, “It did catch me by surprise; I’m not going to lie. I would have thought coming to an H.B.C.U. there would be more Black people, but things aren’t always what you expect.”

This is under the context of baseball but Carter’s thoughts are what many are thinking all throughout HBCUs. According to the New York Times, Bethune-Cookman’s baseball team only has four African-Americans and the school is 79 percent African-American. Lynn Thompson, the athletic director at Bethune-Cookman since 1990, said, “We just happen to be historically Black; we’re not exclusively Black. Our job is to tell the great story of Bethune-Cookman through the lives of these great kids who wear our uniforms, wherever they come from and whatever they look like.”

“As desegregation, rising incomes and increased access to financial aid resulted in more college options for blacks, the share of blacks attending HBCUs began to shrink,” Pew found. “By fall 1980, 17% of black students enrolled in degree-granting institutions were enrolled at an HBCU. By 2000, that share had declined to 13%, and it stood at 9% in 2015.”

<How unfortunate that some white students are seeing more value in HBCUs in our communities.>

White HBCU Student Says He Thought ‘There Would Be More Black People’
Let’s not kid ourselves. They’re getting full-rides to play sports, brothers ain’t playing like baseball and soccer.

Bethune isn’t their first-choice. Especially as an ‘other’.