If you ever wonder how Atlanta took over rap, let me remind ya'll nikkas

razassin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Love this ongoing discussion

from 00 to 05

West Coast: Had a revival with 2001, Xzibit, Cube making a comeback, Nate Dogg, Mack Ten, Eastsiders and of course Snoop crossin' over to the mainstream... However only Snoop was makin crossover hits by 05

Eastcoast: Strong in the early 00s with ruff ryders, roc-a-fella, murda inc, bad boy, terror squad and Nas comin back strong with stillmatic... Then u had dipset, G unit blowin the fukk up changin the whole scene... but by 05 jay had retired and 50 and G unit had blackballed the whole city and only they was poppin the hardest... N I mean that nationwide they was the number one nikkaz in the game

South: early 00-02 Cash Money, Outkast blew up, Luda came onto the scene, Crunk started poppin with Lil Jon... By 05 Luda and lil Jon was major stars, TI was startin to blow up and of course the ringtone era was startin to pop off

Midwest: Nelly and Eminem were the biggest names next to Jay-z and 50 Cent during this period... ''only dudes movin units is Em, Pimp Juice and Us''

--------------

As a 11-16 year old lil nikka from NY during this era I gotta admit we fukked with some of cash money early shyt, Luda was funny, and crunk was poppin cuz of the ignant shyt and cuz we'd dry hump the shyt out lil bytches at house parties to lil jons anthems :wow:

But yeah, it did feel like the south was tryina takin over but they had not done so yet... until the other half of the decade when rap went too commercial and every week there was a goofy down south nikka with a new dance :scust:

I feel like NY didnt really start takin the south serious until 11-12 when Trap became the main sound cuz it was more gangsta and less clownish

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Nah, that shyt started with Lil John. When he blew up, it put a light on Atlanta and the south as a whole which made a lot of people take notice. Outcast is a great group, but they been around since the 90s.

Yeah. I would agree, Lil Jon and the whole crunk scene was so potent at the time, and nothing east, west, midwest or rest of the south sounded like it outside of the 3-6 originators in Memphis....but ATL brought a different wild aggression to it that made partying at the local club feel like Cancun.

I would say this is the song that foreshadowed the true rise and dominance of ATL rap. Even the chorus seems to prophesize what was about to happen the next damn near 20 years. Just my opinion.

Not to mention the intensity in this song was out slightly ahead of most of the ATL crunk songs...Not saying Lil Jon stole "yeah!!"....but this song was out a solid year or more before Lil Jon hit their stride in 2003.

Beat me to it. When "get low" dropped in 03 it was over

I think you right actually. There is pre-Get Low and all the similar songs around that era and post-Get Low and just the combustion of artist that sprouted.

Pastor Troy was like the omen of what was coming.

Last edited:

Grand Eeezus Maxwell

"Time is when, God....lounge!!"
Daps
Reppin
Triple Six Mile

I'm a huge Kast and Goodie Mob fan but they aren't what put Atlanta to taking over rap. We can have another convo bout them and I'll Stan like a muhfukka lol...

But it was the Crunk era to Ringtone Rap era that Atlanta officially took over, so we're talking what, 2003-2006 when Atlanta's popularity began to overtake everyone else. They had it locked by the end of the decade (late-00s)...

Cats can say Kast was part of old ATL that laid the blueprint, which is true, but they weren't part of the era that ATL took over...

100% facts. Hell, I WISH that it was the Dungeon Fam-type shyt that took over, cuz I couldn’t stand Crunk or any of its offshoots.

Prynce

Daps
LOL..Goodie Mob and OUtkast from the same clique. They were visionaries and influencers. ATL didn't take shyt over LOL They just expanded on the sound from the West.
:dahell: WTH you talking about

ATL sound comes from Miami and Memphis we do nothing like the west

El Vato

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Oaktown...Bay Area
It's all west based and I did think of that when I posted it but didn't care to edit. You had Master P that stole from the West and started his company...most music at that time was just ass shaking music.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
No doubt, but 90s is pre-internet era... nikkaz only listened to local cats, radio and BET...

I see where you're coming from...but that's a huge part of the problem. Considering how close cities are geographically you'd think artists in that Philly/NJ/NYC region(just as an example) would be more tight historically, but they weren't and aren't. Look at the huge range from Florida all the way over to Texas and ask yourself why all those artists are so much more tight-knit despite the distances involved. Their own promoters, their own distribution systems, the equivalent of their own chitlin circuit that they stay plugged into to break new artists and new music while touring and earning, etc etc etc.

Nip was right. It's a marathon. NYC in particular should have been at the forefront of planning for the future and basically been elder statesmen to teach the traditions and stave of the baby-food-rap that exists now, but...that NY state of mind. So people slept, hard. :manny:

I come across a lot of people who have moved down here in the last year or two. You want to know what every last one of them says, once they get past the "hometown swag" portion of the convo?

"Man, I wish seen the vision sooner and made these moves 10/15/20 years ago. I'd be set up a lot better now."

That's the best possible summation right there.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dahell: WTH you talking about

ATL sound comes from Miami and Memphis we do nothing like the west

OutKast had more West Coast elements than Memphis. Listen to "Playa's Ball" or "Southernplayalistic" (the single). Those songs have a heavy West Coast influence. A lot of Jermaine Dupri's sound circa '93-'96 is heavily West Coast influenced.

O.Red

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah. I would agree, Lil Jon and the whole crunk scene was so potent at the time, and nothing east, west, midwest or rest of the south sounded like it outside of the 3-6 originators in Memphis....but ATL brought a different wild aggression to it that made partying at the local club feel like Cancun.

I would say this is the song that foreshadowed the true rise and dominance of ATL rap. Even the chorus seems to prophesize what was about to happen the next damn near 20 years. Just my opinion.

Not to mention the intensity in this song was out slightly ahead of most of the ATL crunk songs...Not saying Lil Jon stole "yeah!!"....but this song was out a solid year or more before Lil Jon hit their stride in 2003.

I think you right actually. There is pre-Get Low and all the similar songs around that era and post-Get Low and just the combustion of artist that sprouted.

Pastor Troy was like the omen of what was coming.

Troy one of the most underrated pioneers in music:wow:

That early 2000s energy Troy brought:wow: