I'm Convinced that Video Game Industry= The Hip Hop Industry

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
So my wife was waking me up at 5 to 7am with her trolling self and I just got the coffee and read the funny papers (Reddit). There was a thread where this dude was talking about how him and his brother or whatever were still going to make this game that's supposed to be like Paragon (mind you that the original game flopped but had a cult following, Predecessor is close but no cigar, and Paragon: The Prime officially shut down it's services). Of course the people in the thread had common sense to realize that him and his brother were idiots and that nobody really cares for an FPS MOBA game in 2024 sadly.

Then it dawned on me...

"I want to be a game developer" is the new "I want to be a rapper"

"I want to have a gaming studio" is the new "I want a rap label"

It just blows my mind of how folks want to get in such an industry but fail to see the issues, just like the music industry:

• Layoffs and bullshyt pay
  • Bullshyt contracts and the suits dictating how the game is going to be run
  • Developer tweets= Hip Hop beef tweets
  • Crashing out= NFTs and MTXs
  • Suicide Squad= Everybody Can't Go
Hell, even the fanbase are as fickle as hip hop heads. The Booth is basically a dustier Arcadium. Bottom line, this industry is crazy the same as the hip hop game minus developers getting killed and having entourages.

Yes, I created this thread before I brush my teeth, but I have been meaning to drop this as it was deep in my spirit.

Discuss :ehh:

Last edited:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
my brother, 15, wants to be a game developer and, aside from being addicted to games, I don’t think he has any clue what the profession can entail.

Maybe it’s really his passion and he’ll love it. We gone 👀

Breh I'm saying. Even when heads were telling me that I should see if my music could work in the video game industry, I still Bandcamp it :scusthov: . Not trying to get fukked over ala the Super Meat Boy situation with the devs and their music producer.

JNew

Superstar
Daps
The every one wants to be a rapper was good for the industry until executives took a hold and (conspiracy or not) started pushing BS to the mass market. Cutting out any of the contious rappers because there message was anti establishment.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
interesting parallels

you could also apply it to content creation/youtube/podcasting

True, but the reason why I put this out here because the tech industry is a mess like the music industry. Gaming/hip hop as most artists come and go, folks are selling their masters/selling IPs, rappers tapping out/Developers bytching on Twitter, etc.

Hell Bobby Kotick/P Diddy (on a demonic side of the coin, reaching but layers).

Look at the large amount of threads about developers going up in smoke. Yet, folks still trying to come up with that one game to appease the masses, ala "I want to be the next Pac or etc.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
my brother, 15, wants to be a game developer and, aside from being addicted to games, I don’t think he has any clue what the profession can entail.

Maybe it’s really his passion and he’ll love it. We gone 👀

Challenge him, all it takes is a good work ethic

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
The every one wants to be a rapper was good for the industry until executives took a hold and (conspiracy or not) started pushing BS to the mass market. Cutting out any of the contious rappers because there message was anti establishment.

Square biz.

Case and point, the indie gaming scene in 07-13 was the equivalent of the underground music scene in the early 2000s with DOOM and em. The gaming industry would shyt on the projects, but some of those games were timeless.

Hell even major developers like Media Molecules are struggling with such dire affairs. They have a track record of some of the best games to hit the market, but they are never marketed on the level of Uncharted or God of War.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If we’re looking at videogames like hip hop/rap we’re in the mixtape era. Tech is in a place where anyone can create a video game, but without the backing of a label you have to create your own lane/following.

Major studios are trying to copy the wave, but are losing their way trying to copy.

Steam is kinda like datpiff where if you look you can find some gems.

Consoles are like mainstream radio.