Imma say it! I'm so tired of black womens weaves

Loggie

All Star
Daps
Women wear weaves for many reasons including variety, ease of hair styling, and self esteem issues. It honestly depends on the woman because many have plenty of hair underneath their wigs.

But just like any other characteristic, if you don’t like it don’t date it. There are plenty of women with natural hair, and plenty who only wear wigs/weave occasionally. But it’s weird and out of line to tell anybody you just met to change something about themselves when you have the option to just not approach them at all.
I have two daughters. 4 and 1. It is my job to support whatever she wants to do with her body. It is also my job to tell her she is beautiful and help her understand self worth and self esteem. Media is everywhere and in everything. That influences young minds thoughts. Healthy conversations and discussions about these images are important.

It is a tough job. My Wife is debating putting weave in my 4 year olds hair to protect it from breakage.
:to:
The ignorant, old school thoughts of mine creep up. Growing up, the only weave in my older sisters and cousins head were braids. Now you see these prom pictures and pass the school bus stops and see what our young ladies are wearing.
:mjcry:
To each, her own. I have to try to make sure my daughters don’t have an identity attached to their hair. They will understand beauty is within and your physical appearance is something YOU must be happy with. Don’t be a people pleaser and understand a lot of girls aren’t happy regardless of their outward appearance. Children and people mask all day.
:beli:
My Wife is on her own journey. She’s shaved her hair last year and has issues from all the relaxers as a child and young adult plus the birth control. That Will Smith slap hit hard for me.
Love black women and your daughters Brehs. Talk to them and try to understand why they do what they do. There’s a story behind their behaviors. It can be enlightening.
:wow:

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Hair discrimination is real so I don't judge black women on this issue. ...

But the comparison to white women wearing wigs is disingenuous. White women don't start wearing wigs until they're older and start to have problems with thining hair.

You will be hard pressed to find a white woman in her prime, with a full head of hair, who wears a wig outside of entertainment.

Some women will also wear a wig to the office rather than getting up an hour early to do hair. it comes off at home. My wife does this. I get her the HERGIVENHAIR

Last edited:

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Then date non Black women and save BW the trouble of hearing you bytch & moan.

giphy.gif

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
I have two daughters. 4 and 1. It is my job to support whatever she wants to do with her body. It is also my job to tell her she is beautiful and help her understand self worth and self esteem. Media is everywhere and in everything. That influences young minds thoughts. Healthy conversations and discussions about these images are important.

It is a tough job. My Wife is debating putting weave in my 4 year olds hair to protect it from breakage.
:to:
The ignorant, old school thoughts of mine creep up. Growing up, the only weave in my older sisters and cousins head were braids. Now you see these prom pictures and pass the school bus stops and see what our young ladies are wearing.
To each, her own. I have to try to make sure my daughters don’t have an identity attached to their hair. They will understand beauty is within and your physical appearance is something YOU must be happy with. Don’t be a people pleaser and understand a lot of girls aren’t happy regardless of their outward appearance. Children and people mask all day.
:beli:
My Wife is on her own journey. She’s shaved her hair last year and has issues from all the relaxers as a child and young adult plus the birth control. That Will Smith slap hit hard for me.
Love black women and your daughters Brehs. Talk to them and try to understand why they do what they do. There’s a story behind their behaviors. It can be enlightening.
:wow:

I feel all of this. I think it’s equal buckets self esteem and just simple styling with women. With us, there’s no real stigma in paying and buying enhancements to look however you want to look, as long as that look is what’s in trend. So it’s gone from hair just being straight and long, to hair being straight, long, and FULL, which most white women don’t even have (which is why they’ve also started adding pieces/weave/wigs to reach the full glam Beverly Housewives look). I think we’ve gone overboard on hair, makeup, lashes but just like any trend, it’ll die out soon.

And the difficulty to find “easy to do hairstyles” can’t be underestimated either. We can spend hours washing, conditioning, and styling our hair only for it to frizz in the rain or humidity; or wake up with our “twist out” looking nothing like we expected. So I understand your wife shaving her head. My hair is really sensitive and can’t be manipulated too much without breaking. And the texture is weird. People think my hair is easier because it isn’t that coarse, but I would prefer hair that’s coarser and can take more manipulation. It’s a lot with black women and hair. A constant battle between how we want to look and what our hair can actually do. And with women, it’s no shame in paying for it. So a lot just buy the looks they want. Although a lot also use it as a crutch.