Is it REALLY worth it to do car service appointments?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Is it worth it to go to scheduled car appointments?:patrice:

I'm talking about your 30k, 50k, 60k, etc mile service appointment. Manufacturers obviously suggest them, but I'm feeling iffy about going to it.

I checked the stuff they do, and its pretty much just...
  • Check oil
  • Check breaks
  • Top off fluids
  • Tire pressure+balance
  • Check recalls, etc
  • Wipers
  • "Tune ups" too:wtb:
  • my model gets a free car wash too.

So I'm thinking that these are all things I can do myself. The only real advantage might be in resale value. The last owner did all of his on time.

So, what does theColi think do? do I really need to go to the next service appt?:jbhmm:

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Well,

If you have the time and skills to do your own car maintenance, then go for it.

As for myself, I bought a new vehicle and I am not a certified auto technician, it makes sense for me to schedule an appointment and let them do the work.

Perhaps, you can save a lil money, but make sure you know what you are doing along with having the time and patience to do the maintenance right.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
In the UK, they are mandatory.

Get it checked out before problems escalate.
Mandatory? What if someone has an ancient car? I wonder if they give out 100k mile/kilometer service appointments out there.:patrice:

Also, a little off topic, but is the UK one of those countries where you can't pump your own gas? Just curious.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Mandatory? What if someone has an ancient car? I wonder if they give out 100k mile/kilometer service appointments out there.:patrice:

Also, a little off topic, but is the UK one of those countries where you can't pump your own gas? Just curious.

Apparently the two are not interchangeable but in the UK MOTs are mandatory.

Checks are required on an annual basis to ensure the car is roadworthy.

And having someone else put petrol in your car is not a thing in the UK.