Is the #2 guy position on a team starting to fizzle out?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Preface- Yes PG has had his issues in the post season. Bad game tonight but he's been solid overall so far in these playoffs.

But low key I'm starting to wonder if the #2 guy position is starting to die off period. What #2 is truly carrying the load the right way these days? Porzingis, Middleton, CJ McCullum, Ben Simmons, MPJ(hot&cold), AD(bad year/injuries), Gobert, Bam Adebayo, Brandon Ingram/Ball, Jaren Jackson Jr.,etc. have all looked suspect if not mediocre to bad at times but are still considered top players in the game. Of course we need PG to ball out for us, and his salary will always be brought up of course, but I'm not really seeing any stellar play from the #2 guy period especially in these playoffs. Not sure if Booker in Phoenix is considered the #2 guy and the Nets have 4 perennial all stars and two former MVP's so that's what makes them favorites. Miami & Golden State needed a powerful Big 3's to get over the hump. Now its who can be the #2 for Luka, Dame, Bron, Kawhi, etc. "We need a new #2" "Who's the #2" -Not sure the the two guy is hot in the streets anymore. :francis:
I don't think its dying out, because if you look at that list of players and think about their team, their teams are always questionable. I just think those #2s aren't actually #2s.
  • Porzingis used to be a 1, but right now, he's not playing like a #2.
  • Middleton, I'd say he's a number 2 in the regular season, but he's just aint it in the playoffs.
  • Portland is poo, though its possible its because Dame is a shooting guard and portland needs a point guard. I'd also say that McCollum is probably a 3.
  • Ben Simmons doesn't seem like he's their 2, he's their ball distributor, plays good defense, and sometimes can have good scoring games, but I think Philly has a 2 by comittee.
  • I don't think Gobert is a 2
  • Bam might be a 2, but Jimmy Butler isn't a 1 to me.
  • PG hasn't been performing like a 2 to me. I would like more consistently good games from him. But he might have already peaked to be honest. I think we may be judging him on past performances and thinking he's a high performing 2

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I get that but technically he's widely considered the #2 guy on Philly. He's the three time all star. Tobias has moved around alot and really this is his best season in a while plus the media and fans will go after Simmons way before Tobias gets any slack.
This is true, but like Doc said, what people are expecting from him, isn't what he brings to the table. He may be the 2nd best player on the team, he's not the 2nd best scoring option for them.