Jeff Bezos pledges $10 Billion to climate change... “we must protect earth”

Daps
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos pledges $10 billion to fight climate change
February 17, 2020, 8:16 PM UTC
spaceball.gif

Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, is committing $10 billion of his own money to fight climate change through the creation of the “Bezos Earth Fund.”

The Amazon (AMZN) CEO announced the launch on Instagram, asserting humans can save the Earth by using an inclusive approach that combines the efforts and resources of all stakeholders.

"We can save Earth. It’s going to take collective action from big companies, small companies, nation-states, global organizations, and individuals,” the post stated. “⁣⁣⁣I’m committing $10 billion to start and will begin issuing grants this summer. Earth is the one thing we all have in common — let’s protect it, together.⁣⁣⁣"

media

Bezos, who has a net worth of $130 billion, is no stranger to the climate change fight. In September 2019, the Amazon founder announced: “The Climate Pledge,” which stated that the retail behemoth’s ultimate goal is to become carbon-neutral by 2040.

At the same time, Bezos has been criticized about contributions made by himself and Amazon. Observers recently accused Bezos of being stingy after he donated $690,000 toward relief efforts related to devastating wild fires in Australia (which experts link to climate change). And Amazon, which Bezos founded in 1994, routinely pays an incredibly low tax rate on billions in profit.

Former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang praised Bezos’s initiative while cautioning that the problems posed by climate change would require “nation-scale resources” to successfully combat.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I'm not mad at him, climate change is some serious/scary ish and as long as people like Trump keep getting elected the government is unlikely to do much about it.

But I'd like to see where the money will actually go.
a good place to invest money in to fight climate change is public mass transit. Right now most households in the country need multiple fuel burning vehicles to get to and from work, stores and hangouts. But places like New York, you can just hop on a subway and get where ever you need to go. People are grown without drivers licenses because they don't need one. Every Major city should be like that, and every large town as well. We need to invest in highspeed bullet trains like in europe so people can commute further, and subways/trolleys in the cities so people don't need to drive around town.

That would address largest pollution factors.

We also need to go back to using glass, and completely outlaw plastic. Recycling clearly hasn't been as effective as hoped so only disposable materials like cardboard and Glass should be used for packaging and bottling.

That's the second largest pollution factor.

After that, just focus on clean energy, using solar power and batteries, instead of fuel.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
a good place to invest money in to fight climate change is public mass transit. Right now most households in the country need multiple fuel burning vehicles to get to and from work, stores and hangouts. But places like New York, you can just hop on a subway and get where ever you need to go. People are grown without drivers licenses because they don't need one. Every Major city should be like that, and every large town as well. We need to invest in highspeed bullet trains like in europe so people can commute further, and subways/trolleys in the cities so people don't need to drive around town.

That would address largest pollution factors.

We also need to go back to using glass, and completely outlaw plastic. Recycling clearly hasn't been as effective as hoped so only disposable materials like cardboard and Glass should be used for packaging and bottling.

That's the second largest pollution factor.

After that, just focus on clean energy, using solar power and batteries, instead of fuel.

I completely agree.

Public transportation in Michigan is so terrible that you basically need a car :scust: otherwise you're stuck having to wake up two hours early to catch some crappy bus that may or may not be on time.

I'd love if we invested in better public transportation options outside of NY. Unfortunately nobody wants to pay for it.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I completely agree.

Public transportation in Michigan is so terrible that you basically need a car :scust: otherwise you're stuck having to wake up two hours early to catch some crappy bus that may or may not be on time.

I'd love if we invested in better public transportation options outside of NY. Unfortunately nobody wants to pay for it.
Yeah, the initial investment is what turns people off, but it would eventually pay for it's self in the long run. Eventually electric cars will be all the rage, and the government won't be able to generate much income off of fuel tax. With public transit they can still get money off of ticket prices.
even if they they try to bs some sort of electrical tax. The tech for solar powering the cars(or using some other organic method) won't be too far behind either and they won't be able to get any money of drivers.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not mad at him, climate change is some serious/scary ish and as long as people like Trump keep getting elected the government is unlikely to do much about it.

But I'd like to see where the money will actually go.

better late than never i guess....but we're past the point where it can be stopped or prevented decades ago....

BlackDiBiase

Superstar
Daps
He can help make the world a better place by also paying his taxes

yep.

or donation just 10 mill to build community centers for arts and science in impoverished areas of major cities.

or at least donate a jungle gym behind the crib, so they can enjoy youth :wow:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Has there been any large scale analysis on what it would take to bring viable mass transit systems in each major metro area? Imagine the jobs it would bring in, if they revamped the metro systems for each metro area with a population over 500k. Not only operator jobs, but construction jobs, and correlating industries would move to the city.

I live in Chicago now and their public transit system is pretty good in my opinion. While I don't believe every city needs something equivalent, 1-2 subway or elevated rail with crisscross bus routes would go a long way to eliminating traffic. In Philly, where I am from...there needs to at least be 2 more subway rail lines. The design of the city is old, dense, European city planning...but there's only 2 subway lines, 3 if you count patco. Philly is way too big of a city for only 2-3 lines. But the streets are small and dense so it's hard to build anything there. Traffic and subsequent pollution is bad there just ask about the Schuylkill Punch.