Julio Cesar Chavez says he never hit mitts and doesn't know how to use a speed bag

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Speed bag good for jab/guard recoil, but it's not essential compared to others (floor to ceiling, heavy etc.)

Says he sparred a lot so that explains everything.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

Modern boxing training focuses way too much on conditioning over skill.

The difference is he also fought frequently, old school shyt

Speed bag and mitts still have a place in training...speed bag esp..kept my god given handspeed nice and fast

KingOFKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mitts are very functional. Mustafa uses it a ton, he is just against flashy mitt work which can be excessive. If you’re doing flashy mittwork just focused on speed and the coach isn’t correcting you, then yes..you are not going to learn or develop skill. Mitts are a great tool for skill building if done right though..so it really should be about who is using the mitts to teach, not the mitts. The teacher, not the tool!

Speed bag is just straight conditioning, very little actual boxing application. I never use it, a lot of guys don’t. It’s really not needed to be honest.

You can’t compare Mitts to the speedbag, one has a use, the other is just straight conditioning.

Double End Bag gives you everything and is even cheaper to setup, there is no need for a speed bag if you have a Double End Bag.

Double End Bag:

-Practice proper punches
-actual slips with something coming back at you
-the best for hand eye coordination using actual form
-footwork around the bag
-counters (you can even practice a damn pull counter on it when it bounces back)
-conditioning and speed

I don’t even know why people use the speed bag in 2021, just use a double end bag.

Last edited:

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Mitts are very functional. Mustafa uses it a ton, he is just against flashy mitt work which can be excessive. If you’re doing flashy mittwork just focused on speed and the coach isn’t correcting you, then yes..you are not going to learn or develop skill. Mitts are a great tool for skill building if done right though..so it really should be about who is using the mitts to teach, not the mitts. The teacher, not the tool!

Speed bag is just straight conditioning, very little actual boxing application. I never use it, a lot of guys don’t. It’s really not needed to be honest.

You can’t compare Mitts to the speedbag, one has a use, the other is just straight conditioning.

Double End Bag gives you everything and is even cheaper to setup, there is no need for a speed bag if you have a Double End Bag.

Double End Bag:

-Practice proper punches
-actual slips with something coming back at you
-the best for hand eye coordination using actual form
-footwork around the bag
-counters (you can even practice a damn pull counter on it when it bounces back)
-conditioning and speed

I don’t even know why people use the speed bag in 2021, just use a double end bag.

Agree with all of that.

I don't use speedbag much but good for jab return/speed.

Winning do a small ball, adjustable, floor to ceiling. Recommend it for any beginner.

Everybody wants to be Clubber Lang but nobody wants to be pay those 10,000 hours of feet, shadow and floor to ceiling.