Just what everyone wants... Disney+ developing female-focused Star Wars series

Discussion in 'The Film Room' started by TheGodling, Apr 22, 2020.

1. TheGodling

TheGodling Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Rotterdam
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

:skip:

Female-Focused ‘Star Wars’ Series From ‘Russian Doll’s Leslye Headland In Works – Deadline

Disney+ is developing a female-centered Star Wars series that will be written and showrun by Lesley Headland, a co-creator of Netflix’s Emmy-winning dramedy series Russian Doll.

Deadline has confirmed the gist of the series. While the exact plot is under wraps, but the series is understood to be a female-driven action thriller with martial arts elements and set in an alternate timeline from the usual Star Wars universe. Disney declined comment on the project, which was first reported by Variety.

It marks the latest Disney+ original series in the Star Wars universe, following the successful The Mandalorian created by Jon Favreau which is already underway on Season 3 ahead of its Season 2 bow. That too has a strong female element in Gina Carano’s butt-kicking shock trooper-turned-mercenary Cara Dune.

Two other Star Wars series are in development at the Disney streamer: an Obi-Wan Kenobi series returning Ewan McGregor to the role from the prequel trilogy, and a Rogue One series based on the 2016 stand-alone feature film that returns Diego Luna as rebel Cassian Andor.

Headland co-created Russian Doll with star Natasha Lyonne and Amy Poehler. The dramedy was nominated for 13 Emmys for its first season, winning two. It was renewed for Season 2. The writer-director’s other credits include the 2015 film Sleeping With Other People.

In December, Headland has signed a multi-year overall deal with Fox 21 Television Studios to create, develop and direct series for network, cable and streaming platforms.

2. Bigbigguy

Bigbigguy BP

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Latveria
    Coli Cash:
    $236202.00

If people have a problem with a new female lead star wars property they have problems

I get the rey hate but a new property nah

-DMP-, KevCo and BrownBunny dapped this.
  3. BrownBunny

BrownBunny All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

I was going to say that’s a bit weird because they haven’t had a male lead in a long time aside from The Mandalorian but it seems like 2/3 of the upcoming projects will have a male lead so I don’t the big deal.

As a woman, it’s only annoying when the character’s gender is their defining trait. You can make a good female character without heavy handed bullshyt.

Bigbigguy dapped this.
  4. filial_piety

filial_piety Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    I95S
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I would be down for a female lead Star Wars series with something like Dr. Aphra or Captain Phasma...I also think they should think about doing a Lando series

richaveli83 dapped this.
  5. Bigbigguy

Bigbigguy BP

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Latveria
    Coli Cash:
    $236202.00

Still expecting them to announce the spinoff show with that chick and lando from episode 9

6. AnonymityX1000

AnonymityX1000 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    New York
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Alternative timeline? Is that a Star Wars thing or are they just saying this is in that world but none of the other shyt happened?

7. TheGodling

TheGodling Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Rotterdam
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I think they mean alternate timeline as 'not part of the Skywalker eras'.

jayshiggs dapped this.